Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
enpassant's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, December 28th, 2020 4:44 PM

BGW210-700 IP Passthrough - LAN devices not working!

I tried to set up my BGW210-700 (ATT fiber) as a modem and maintain my existing router for wifi.  I am getting good wifi signal and internet speeds on wifi form the router but I cannot get any of the Ethernet cable connected devices (e.g. NAS box, amazon fire box etc) to be recognized by the network.  The LAN devices are all showing no internet connection.    Here is my set up below.  I used tips from other posts to set this up.  Any idea what am I doing wrong with respect to the LAN devices?

Equipment:

Modem -BGW210-700

Router - Asus RT-AC5300

Switch - TP-Link 8 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network

BGW210-700 setup:

Home Network -> Wifi: Disabled both 2.4 Ghz and 5GHz 

Home Network -> Subnets and DHCP:

Device IPv4 Address: 192.168.48.1

Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

DHCP Server Enable: On

DHCPv4 Start Address: 192.168.48.2

DHCPv4 End Address: 192.168.48.254

Public Subnet Mode: Off

Cascaded Router Enable: Off

Firewall -> Packet FIlter -> Disabled packet filtering

FireWall -> IP Passthrough:

Allocation Mode: Passthrough

Default Server Internal Address: blank

Passthrough Mode: DHCPS-fixed

Passthrough Fixed MAC Address: Manual Entry -  ASUS router LAN mac address

Passthrough DHCP Lease: 99 days

ASUS Router Setup: Access Point Mode

Ethernet Cables: 

BGW210 EtherNET port 4 -> ASUS WAN PORT

ASUS gigabit LAN 1 -> TP-Link switch

TP link switch -> ethernet to all other devices

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

3 years ago

Your BGW needs to have the ASUS WAN MAC address for IP Passthrough and that should fix it.  My DHCP lease time is set to 10 minutes and although I didn't think I could change it, it appears that I can.  I would set it back to 10 minutes to be safe for now.

You ASUS appears to be incorrect.  I'm not familiar with the ASUS configurations, but it needs to be in 'Router' mode, not 'Access Point Mode'. Typically, Access Point Mode would disable DHCP, DNS, maybe even the WAN port altogether so the ASUS would act as a WiFi access point.  If these services are unavailable behind the ASUS, nothing will work.

If you want to keep 'Access Point Mode' then disable IP Passthrough on the BGW and connect BGW LAN to ASUS LAN instead of WAN.  All LAN ports (BGW, TPLink, ASUS) become the same network.  Change the BGW DHCP range to be something link 192.168.48.100 to 192.168.48.200.  Set the ASUS IP Address to something like 192.168.48.10.

If you want to keep IP Passthrough, correct BGW IP Passthrough MAC address and lease time. Connect ASUS WAN to BGW LAN. Set ASUS LAN IP to something like 192.168.49.1 (don't use 48, must be different from BGW LAN). Set ASUS to 'Router' mode (or whatever ASUS calls it).

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

To add to the previous post. Ip passthrough instructions

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-equipment/bridgemode-vs-ip-passthrough-setup-information/5defbfffbad5f2f606ad5ed2

If you want to use ip passthrough, reset both devices and start over. After setting the gateway into io passthrough ASUS router, reboot the ASUS router. It should assign the gateway wan ip to the ASUS and give it a lan ip. Best to leave the gateway on the default lan ip. 

(edited)

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

3 years ago

@browndk26 You may want to blur out your v4 address.  Just my $0.02.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Yeah I thought about that before posting. Deleted the photo. Op should be able to figure things out. Gateway ips aren’t that secure.

Teacher

• 

248 Messages

3 years ago

@browndk26 Going off topic here.  My opinion on the public GW IP is that someone knowing the public IP can pretty easily use it for geolocation, website tracking, linking profiles among different boards...  I know a lot of that information is publicly available already, but I'd err on the side of caution (or at least making it more difficult).

For myself, people here know I run a dual stack configuration using PfSense.  If in the future, if some BSD vulnerability came out and someone had my public address(es), then it makes me an easier target.

A good firewall should be sufficient protection, but why make it easier to find.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.