For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
F

• 

4 Messages

Sunday, July 12th, 2020 11:31 PM

ATT Router - Wifi Printer connection issues

ATT,

I have ATT internet/router at home but my printer is connected separately to a NetGear Wifi router. Whenever I have to print something, I switch my laptop's ATT wifi connection to the Netgear one, print it and switch back to ATT. While I can get things done this way, you can clearly see its not a smart and easy way to get stuff done.

And, please don't blame the printer (because it works on the Netgear router). The printer refuses to connect to the ATT router past 1 job or just drops off after several minutes.

I see that you acknowledged this as a fairly common issue. Is it too much to ask for a software/firmware update to your router to fix this issue? Looking to hear back from you on a solution.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

4 years ago

Looking to hear back from the other AT&T customers on this forum?  We're not going to make any firmware changes.  However, we'll be glad to offer advice, like OttoPylot's... why not combine the two networks?

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

I appreciate input from other customers. But, I was looking to hear back from ATT Help Desk with their official SOP on what needs to be done so the printer doesnt drop after 1 job

Link to a similar discussion:

https://forums.att.com/conversations/att-internet-equipment/my-new-wireless-printer-gets-booted-off-after-5-minuteshelp-me-please/5defd9ffbad5f2f606856554

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

4 years ago

Why do you have your printer connected to a separate router? If you are using an AT&T-supplied gateway then just place the router portion in bridge mode or pass-through and just use the Netgear.

Oh, and this is a customer helping customer forum, not official AT&T Support so you'll not get anything back from them posting here.

(edited)

• 

4 Messages

My bad. I thought ATT occasionally posted their official SOP/stance to a persistent problem on this forum.

I think the bridge mode might work. But, I suspect something on ATT's router is blocking the printer/2.4GHz connection.

Which is why I decided to bypass the ATT router all together and hook up a seperate router (my old router) just for the printer. The printer does have a Wifi Direct option. But, that option seems not very functional either.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

If you have another router connected to the gateway, and the gateway is not in bridge mode or passthrough you could develop issues like a double NAT which can cause problems. I would strongly recommend that you disable the WiFi functions of the AT&T gateway and just use the Netgear. AT&T's WiFi on their gateways appears to not be very robust. WiFi Direct may work but there are issues with that as well, not necessarily related to AT&T.

I use a Netgear Mesh WiFi system with my own modem (don't have AT&T as my ISP) and it works great.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

• 

4 Messages

Plan/goal is to make the ATT router functional enough for the printer. I dont want to disable the ATT wifi and connect everything to the Netgear, primarily because I notice significantly lower speeds on Netgear router than ATT router (test was performed on Speedtest.net)

Thanks for responding

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

Using two routers with both of them "active" is not a good practice and will affect speeds/functionality. We've made suggestions on how to properly configure your setup but if you choose not to follow our advice, then you'll just have to work with AT&T Support, clearly explain your setup, and see what they have to say. I doubt very seriously if there is a firmware push that will allow AT&T's gateway to work successfully with another connected router if not in bridge mode.

AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide by OttoPylot

Cellular Booster Guide by OttoPylot

Award for Community Excellence Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.