For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
testengr12743's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, March 17th, 2019 7:24 PM

AT&T Compatible DSL modems

I have been using an old NVG599 DSL Modem/Router for a number of years without problems. The last couple of weeks it has started dropping the DSL connection. I decided to replace it and and use of the newer Netgear Nighthawk routers. Initially, I wanted to use their model D7000 Modem/Router, but it is obsolete and unavailable except used. Next I figured I would would use a newer Natgear Modem/Router, but that was thwarted because they don't make one with a built in DSL modem (they are also very expensive). So now I  thought, no problem I will change to a stand alone router and buy a stand alone DSL modem. Well, after a bunch of searching, I found the following:. There are 2 modems Netgear DSL 6200 and Motorola 3360(?). Neither of these modems is available through any of the usual on-line retailers. I found the Netgear DSL6200 modem only available from AT&T @ $75.00. Their web site only allows you to place the order on-line, then pick it up in person. Not very convenient for someone like me.

Finally, here is my question, does someone out there have a solution to my problem? 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

@testengr12743 Test engineer?  Nice.  It doesn't make sense to buy you're own gateway since you have to lease anyway.  The Arris has some tables on the broadband tab you can post for some here to have a look at, but if your broadband connection is intermittent, only ATT can fix that for you.  When calling in, they will run some automated tests but an agent can also run them manually.  A technician should be dispatched if there's a problem, and with an electrical interface, that can happen as well as cards acting up in the VRAD if you're on a VDSL2 connection.  Of the available gateways, the NVG599 is okay, the BGW210 is better.

If you're looking to improve the stability and reliability of your home network, getting a 3rd party router is recommended, and putting the Arris device in IP Passthrough mode.  Going this route makes sense if relying on IMS features in smartphones along with a large number of devices the router has to manage. 

• 

3 Messages

I'm looking into buying a modem so I can return the leased modem ATT provided for my VDSL2 connection.

I wanted to make sure I understood the beginning of your post correctly: We can only lease the modem from ATT and not replace it with our own?

I currently have the ATT provided (and paying $10/month) AT&T Arris BGW210-700.

I fired Spectrum cable internet service and went with ATT last month because of Spectrum's terrible policies and poor service. I've been happy with ATT service but will switch back if they force me to use their modems at $10/month! I've always used my owm modems with my cable internet providers for the last 20 years or so. Over that period of time I've saved a couple thousand in leased equipment fees.

Thanks for the help!

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

Thanks a million for the reply and assistance. Great idea to review terms of service. We shall see if ATT keeps me as a customer!

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Are you on dsl service or att internet?

line stats can be found here. As suggested by @gr8sho 

http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/broadbandstatistics.ha

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

gr8sho,

Thanks for the quick response. I thought about using my Arris in passthrough mode also, but that would mean having some portion of suspected hardware would still be in the loop. Ideally, I would like to eliminate that.

The last 3-4 days have been very good regarding drop outs. I am starting to wonder if something environmental is going on. It has been very wet here this winter. I was ready to pull the trigger to buy equipment as soon as I got the hardware choice figured out, but now I think I will be patient and observe a little longer.

Mark

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

Hi browndk26

DSL service. I will take a look at the line stats to see if maybe they can
shed some light on what we were/are experiencing here.

Thanks
Mark

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

Seems unlikely you have old DSL with an NVG599.  The broadband tab will say something like VDSL2 or ADSL2.  What is the speed tier you have there?  And yes, weather can have an impact on a copper connection if the wiring is exposed somewhere, but issues can be in any place, cards, indoor home wiring.  Before playing around with gateway box, it's recommended to make sure the line quality is solid.  If it's not, nothing else downstream will matter.  And as a last resort for the gateway itself, factory reset it from a cold start.

The reality of the situation is you must use an ATT gateway box to interface back to the VRAD or the CO.  Passthrough mode is a decent facsimile of true bridge mode.  You want to use this to avoid a double NAT situation with your personal router.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

gr8sho

The Broadband/Status tab says that the " Broadband Connection Source" is
"DSL". The network speed I am paying for is 50Mbps down and 10Mbps up. I
have verified the speeds with an app I have.

Mark

ACE - Professor

• 

5.4K Messages

5 years ago

Look lower to where it says modulation.  AT&T 50/10M service is only VDSL2 . Depending on distance from VRAD, it may require bonded pair.

Try pasting the tables.  

Still, call in your concern.  

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

5 years ago

gr8sho

You are correct! I just overlooked it. Thanks for your help.

Mark

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

5 years ago

Just call customer service and ask for a new gateway. They should ship it to you. Instructions will be included to install it. Plus instructions to return your old gateway. Hopefully there will be no monthly fee for the replacement gateway. 

Worse thing that hat could happen is you would need a tech visit to check your inside wiring and pair bond outside as @gr8sho mentioned. The tech would bring and install the new gateway in that case. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.