For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
ArykMeyer's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Saturday, May 5th, 2018 12:39 AM

Airties 4920 - 5ghz SSID different than 2.4ghz/disable repeater mode?

I have the 1,000mbps uverse internet and the tech installed one of these airties 4920 for my PS4... the extender updated as soon as it was setup losing all the settings allowing for customization, no exaggeration -- there are no settings you can modify after firmware updates -- the problem is that no matter what I do to set it up and do endless factory resets, the 5ghz and 2.4ghz show the same SSID which is causing issues with my smart home setup. I need my 2.4 and 5ghz channels' SSIDs to be unique from each other, also for security purposes.

I'd like to do one of two things; access airties settings to allow me to change each SSID separately and/or disable the wifi radio (if I want it to only function on the 5ghz frequency)??

OR can I somehow turn this device into a receiver only, in the sense that it would no longer function as a mesh system, but only to supply a wired connection to the two ethernet ports?

There is NOTHING to download from airties website, it is absolutely devoid of any firmware updates or software downloads.

Their airties wifi app is useless for what I'm trying to do.

The ATT smart home manager app doesn't let me control the airties radios independently either

Anyone have advice or experience something similar?

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

6 years ago

Try changing the SSID names or disabling the wifi band in the gateway. Then see if the airties picks up the different names. The airties should be able to be used wired as just a receiver. Try hard wiring it.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

To be more specific, the worries has taken the name of my 5ghz SSID from
the gateway and applied it to both airties frequencies.

For example, at the gateway I have SSID "homenet" on 5ghz and "guestnet" on
2.4ghz... when setting up the airties, it takes the name "homenet" and
extends it to 5ghz as a mesh network but then a 2.4ghz SSID "homenet"
appears as well rather than using the name "guestnet" on 2.4ghz

Please note: homenet and guestnet are not my real SSID, but altered for my
privacy

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

On the contrary "my thoughts", if you look at the printed instructions there should be options to customize each SSID and password as well as several other settings. In fact there is another thread of people looking to roll back this device because after a recent firmware update all the settings and options were removed from the airties UI

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

6 years ago

AirTies Firmware 2.36.2.12.1005 no longer has the option to download firmware.  Logging into the device does not provide information concerning what radios are active and what SSIDs they are using.  If as some have indicated, they are using the same SSID for both radios, this could explain why I am having other network issues, liked dropped devices, slow speeds and intermittent low or absent signal strength.  Since my WiFi only Epson printers will not connect if I use the same SSID for both radios, I am still using different names for each radio.  Changing them to the same name is not an option.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

6 years ago

I was trying to find the proper terminology before posting and “wireless media bridge” is effectively what I’d like to use this airties device for. Based on the settings shown in its printed manual, there should be options in the UI allowing us to make many specific changes to this devices. It seems that everywhere you look, all settings have been removed with new firmware updates, and after emailing airties directly I’m back to square one because believe me that att has been no help with this

Employee

• 

4 Messages

5 years ago

All the firmware updates are here on this link I've provided below. However, fair warning, The latest one (dated 4/29 I believe it said) has some interesting glitches. I'm fairly certain that this update was either launched and rolled back to the previous because they were aware of the issues, or it never actually launched yet, because when I install new ones at someone's house, this is not the firmware update that the new ones get when I auto update the one I'm installing for a customer. I currently have the latest one on my personal airtie at home which I had to install manually through the "manual update" option in the tools on the airtie. I have the same problem as you in that I need separate SSID's for both frequency bands and my airtie has taken the name of my 5 GHz band for the 2.4. The update will allow you to make changes to BOTH SSID's but you can only do this after a factory reset of the airtie. After changing the SSID's to match my gateway the airtie would no longer connect to the gateway via Ethernet, only through Wi-Fi (which does me no good given there's almost no Wi-Fi connection to the gateway in the room that it is being used in. It still acts as an Ethernet switch but both of the frequency band lights on the airtie flash red and it does not broadcast the Wi-Fi SSIDs. To top all of this off, once it is plugged in to the gateway and receives a valid IP address (a 192.168.1.xxx instead of the default '.2.254.') the settings to the airtie are no longer accessible. So you can forget making changes to it at that point. I believe that may be why this firmware isn't being used yet. The IP address given to the airtie from the gateway just goes to a page that shows a black bar that says loading and eventually times out. The only way to get back into the settings is by performing a factory reset, at which point you're back at square 1. Good luck and if anyone figures it out please let me know 

To install the update you have to download the file from the site and "browse" for files from the airtie  update page and select the downloaded file from your computer/phone.

ftp://ftp.eyenetworks.no/AirTies/Air%204920/Firmware/

• 

8 Messages

3 years ago

Is there an updated link for the firmware?

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

Any update on this?   Ive got the same problem.  I have different SSID names for 2.4ghz and 5ghz.   My Att smart extender is broadcasting my 5ghz SSID name on 2.4 frequency.   Makes the extender worthless for 2.4ghz devices.

and NO......band steering is not an acceptable suggestion.  That causes more issues.   ATT FIX THIS!!!! It can’t be difficult to code the extender to MATCH the gateway WiFi settings.

Scholar

• 

162 Messages

3 years ago

I highly doubt AT&T will add the ability to have the extender work without you using band steering (by having the 2.4 and 5Ghz SSID's have the same name and password on the gateway settings). 

They specifically say to make sure you have your wifi setup this way in the setup instructions for the extender.

Not saying that's a good thing, but it's def a decision AT&T has made. You can find pictures of the AirTies extender web interface from similar models AT&T uses but used to be sold at retail (I don't know if in the US but they only partner with ISP's now) and you can see that AT&T DRAMATICALY reduced the number of settings and options you can access in the extender's web interface. On the retail firmware of the 4920 it had tons of options including the ability to set the name for the 2.4 and 5GHz bands. AT&T actively went out of their way to have those options removed.

Here is the firmware from the 4920SG (back when AirTies extenders were sold at retail and not only partnering with ISP's)
(right click and open image in new tab to see it a little clearer)

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.