For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
E

• 

2 Messages

Monday, January 25th, 2021 3:30 AM

What is required to improve my 3801HGV Modem setup?

I have an iPhone XS.  I cannot play videos at home... they constantly stop and buffer, never fully playing.  They load and play fine at another home so it appears to be a problem with my home setup.  

I'm trying to figure out what is required to improve my setup so that my phone is more efficient.  Do I need to add a router?  My area is small... less than 1400 sq. ft.

I tested the download and upload speeds on my modem and they appear to be low.  I'm paying for high speed service.  The download is 22.96 and the upload is 1.94 mbps.  I believe the recommended speeds are 25 for download and 3 for uploads at a minimum.

I was considering adding a nest-type wifi to improve things but I believe that all connects via a router.

Any suggestions?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

High speed service can be anything.... the 3801 was mainly offered from around 2010-2011 to about 2016-2017.

This is a single pair VDSL gateway in 2015 customers could choose their speed tier based upon what willing to pay. The most common was internet 3 (PRO) list $47 with $17 discount for 12 months net $30 PLUS $7 gateway equipment charge with monthly cost of $37.

The next step up was ELITE or Internet 6, for $5 more or list $52, then MAX or Internet 12/1.5 list $57, next was MAX PLUS Internet 18/1.5 for $62, next was MAX TURBO 24/3 for  $72 a month. There was also the BONDED pair POWER 45/6 for $82 a month list. 

I suspect your speed tier is MAX PLUS 18/1.5 that overprovisioned would yield around 20-22 down /1.9-2 up.... not the Max Turbo 24/3

Check your gateway stats using 192.168.1.254 what are the max rates, user rates?

As you should be paying at least $7 a month gateway equipment fee if not $10 recommend calling 800.288.2020 requesting a different gateway be shipped. May also want to inquire about increasing the speed tier if available, a new 12 month contract. 

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

A new modem is being shipped since the rep couldn't even ping the 3801 and it's almost 9 years old.  It appears I have the MAX PLUS plan.  Good to know there are higher speed options available.

Thank you :)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.