For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
sunnee's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, May 6th, 2015 6:26 AM

Weak security settings

Since yesterday my internet browser indicated some sites I visited "uses weak security settings (SHA-1 signatures) connection may not be private." I am wondering if part of the problem is my router. I don't have VPN.

I've been using a Pace router purchased from AT&T over 1 year ago. The tech who set up my internet at the time made it sound like the router is somewhat outdated. Also my neighbor's router was hacked, so I am concerned about security.

I appreciate any advice. I am not tech savy.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

• 

25.7K Messages

9 years ago

Oooo, router security can be tricky. First of all though, your warning message seems to refer to a site you are trying to visit and the security problem is with that site, not your router. That said, if you have questions about your router jot down the make and model usually found on a tag on the back or bottom of the device and then call ATT tech support 800-288-2020 and ask them if your router model is still considered secure. You mention it is a year or so old and newer features may be available for added security and other things but beware the salesman in a tech support agent.

You should only be concerned about your neighbor getting hacked if your neighbor set up your router. Your local network (in house) is secured by the settings on your router and other devices and your own measures to protect passwords, etc. If you are not sure about your password strength Google password strength to get some tips on the length and structure of your passwords. ATT support is a good place to start if you have ATT router questions. 

VPN (Virtual Private Network) is an added layer of security in a local network that as far as I know is an advantage but not necessarily vital for most users. As far as I know VPNs are not in wide use and not having one is probably not a worry item. Google 'should I VPN' if interested.

Lastly, if you use Google's Chrome browser be aware that Google is said to be pressing the industry to eliminate SHA-1 signatures in favor of more current security methods. At least one site I found claimed in April of this year that while SHA-1 is improved in SHA-2 and -3 signature algorithms (nerd word) SHA-1 remains a good security tool. Your warning message may be Google nudging the public.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.