Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
TheKingfish's profile

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

Friday, March 30th, 2018 1:55 AM

Server Login/Connection Email Issue

Overnight, with all Thunderbird email-client settings unchanged, I can no longer connect to the AT&T server.  Highlights:

• Thunderbird start up message says “Host contacted, sending login info” [takes a long time]
  • Next message says “Sending password for user XXXXX@ameritech.net did not succeed. Mail server inbound.att.net responded: server error”

My server settings are:  outbound.att.net  &  inbound.att.net

My wife’s connection is fine.  Her server settings are:

smtp.att.yahoo.com  &  pop.att.yahoo.com

However, her settings do not work for me.  Are my AT&T destinations still valid, or have they been removed from service?  My email-client has been rendered inoperable.  Please help.

Thank you,

TheKingfish

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@MSGIRL44 said:

Delete from your computer Hard Disk Drive (HDD) the folder called Profiles (Thunderbird), go back to Thunderbird and add email again.

That's entirely unnecessary.  You lose all your settings, additional mailboxes, and email, and everything else, if you delete your profile.  If all you want to do is change your passwords open TB's preferences/settings/options, click security, passwords, saved logins, and delete them.  Next time yo do a send and receive you will get prompts for the passwords.  Enter them and click the checkgox to remember the password in the password manager which will update your saved logins.

I also recommend you change your TB passwords (and any other email clients too) to use a secure mail key instead of the account password.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

6 years ago

I am having the exact same problem with Thunderbird v17.0.9 as described above - extremely frustrating!  Man Frustrated

Please advise ASAP

Tutor

• 

12 Messages

6 years ago

While I came to understand that Thunderbird was not the issue, I had posted my problem on the Mozilla forum.  One of the veteran contributors there said to wait; give ATT 24 hours to fix the (server) issue.  Sure enough, this morning the server was back in operation and I was a happy camper.  Having never experienced an extended shutdown before, I now wonder how common this is and if I will be touched again.  While awkward and inconvenient for me, my mail remained accessible on line via browser (ATT website).

I also wonder about an alternate server.  Using different inbound / outbound servers (pop.att.yahoo.com / smtp.att.yahoo.com), my wife had no coincidental connectivity issues.  Since both of our address destinations are identical (xxxx@ameritech.net) I found it curious that I could not just change my Thunderbird settings and use her server (???).

My next (unenthusiastic) step would have been to approach ATT by phone, so I’m glad I was spared that.

Thanks,

TheKingfish

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

6 years ago

It's working for me too.  Thanks to everyone and anyone who had a hand in getting this fixed.

Tresclub

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

incoming.att.net is a continual problem. I've experienced it on many days. Calling 877-267-2988 gets an answer that the server is up. But Thunderbird wont connect.The server may be up but all the software isn't or its buggy. Calling back yields wanting to charge to fix the problem. I know my incoming and outgoing addresses and ports are OK else it would fail alll the time.

My only solution is to wait for a few hours or try again the next day. This is not what I pat for.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Remove your email account(s) from Thunderbird. Delete from your computer Hard Disk Drive (HDD) the folder called Profiles (Thunderbird), go back to Thunderbird and add email again. This worked for me. Hope this helps.

Teacher

• 

27 Messages

6 years ago

Agree about the delete. It wouldn't solve anything anyway. Lots of other clients have same trouble. Its an ATT problem.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.