Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
joeldavidson's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 3rd, 2018 4:49 AM

pop.att.yahoo.com server error

When will ATT fix its Server? When I try to download my emails from yahoo mail, I get this message: "Sending of password for user did not succeed. Mail server pop.att.yahoo.com responded: Server error - Please try again later." I have been getting this response on-and-off for almost one week.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Today, November 9th, I have this same problem. Error says server has timed out. Yesterday I reset my password and added my email address to Yahoo email page and approved their terms of service; it worked fine the rest of the day.

This morning it quit again. Just now I have tried :

1. Switching over to the inbound.att.net and outbound.att.net servers.  NO CHANGE! Same errors, exactly! (Error 0x8004210A)

2. Tried signing up for the Password Authentication 16 digit number and checked that in my email program setup box. NO CHANGE! Still cannot log onto the server.

The errors I receive are a bit confusing and sometimes different. Just once, at the end of the error message, it said something about AVG getting > 50 login requests!

AVG is my virus program!

So I tried removing the AVG email protection temporarily. NO CHANGE!  

So I too ask, when is ATT (or is it Yahoo) going to fix their servers?

My email was down all week until yesterday. At that time I "fixed" it (I thought) by adding my address to the Yahoo email account and approving their terms of service. Immediately it worked for about 18 hours!   Any ideas?

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Email timeout.jpgThis is the error I recieve most often.Forgot to include the actual error box screen shot for my message above.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@DeaneG

I reset my password and added my email address to Yahoo email page and approved their terms of service; it worked fine the rest of the day.

Yahoo email page?  Do your really mean yahoo.com's webmail or att/yahoo webmail you access through start.att.net?

2. Tried signing up for the Password Authentication 16 digit number and checked that in my email program setup box. NO CHANGE! Still cannot log onto the server.

I assume you mean the att secure mail key.

I don't know what to tell you.  Just as a check can you log into the att/yahoo webmail through start.att.net successfully using your account (email address) new password?  It may very well be that given you are using outlook, which based on many posts in these forums IMO I think is apparently very fragile in that its data can get corrupted and needs a repair program to fix it, can you create a new account in outlook just as an experiment to see if it has any problems?

FWIW I did a google search for that error.  There's quite a lot of hits for that search.  Here's one from microsoft.  There's a section in there with suggestions specific to outlook.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks xyzzy for your good thoughts!  Answer to your questions:  Yes, I did mean ATT/yahoo webmail page and yes, I did mean the secure mail key.

This morning I powered up my computer and before starting Outlook I opened AVG setup and halted the Email protection component (for 1 hour). Then I opened Outlook. It started to send and receive but immediately went to 66% done which is what it was doing  yesterday before the timeout (usually shows 75%).  But then about 20 seconds later it started loading  29 messages, all from yesterday that I was unable to get all day. Yay!  So far today it seems to be working OK.  I am now using the inbound/outbound server names. If it stops again I will reboot, disable AVG again and see if it starts working again. That is my best guess today. I am able to get the mail on the ATT webmail page but I want to try and fix it in my Outlook.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_  Thank for your help!  Today my email is arriving regularly on my primary address. But I have one sub-address and that one gives the timeout error as shown above? I  have checked the ATT profile of my account and it correctly lists the sub account name. I have checked and everything is correct about it in Outlook.

Any idea how t his might happen?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

@DeaneG - unless you already did it I would suggest the same things I suggest for the primary account, i.e., change it's password and give it its own secure mail key (need to log into myAT&T with the secondary account to create it's own secure mail key).

I think the server account data is being worked to try to fix all the legacy account problems being reported which is why you might be seeing inconsistent results.  Let's hope the one you got working "sicks" and continues to work.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_  As you suggested (and I suspected) I had to go to the ATT/Yahoo email Manage Account  page again (https://login.yahoo.com/manage_account?.partner=sbc&.intl=us&nr=1&authMechanism=primary&done=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2F&eid=100) and had to ADD my second account. Apparently Yahoo had dropped both of my accounts from their list without telling me. Thanks Yahoo!  Not!  After adding my 2nd account (even though it is listed in my ATT profile it was not listed on this Manage_account page) I had to log in to it. The password for the main account did not work so I just asked for a new password. They emailed me a temporary password at my main account email and then I logged in and changed to my desired password. Only thing I did not have to do was approve the Yahoo terms of Service. I guess doing that for the main account was enough. Now my email works perfectly and is fast with no errors when it goes out to receive both accounts. Fast because it does not timeout any more. It also displays 75% while reading in the messages, just like it used to.

@joeldavidsonOnce again this is how I fixed my sbcglobal.net email account. Other ATT/Yahoo based accounts probably work the same way.

I sincerely hope that these messages will help someone else who is having the same problem. The key takeaway is that you have to ADD all your accounts to the ATT/Yahoo page as Yahoo seems to have forgotten them.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_  I have enjoyed one single day of my email working perfectly on both the primary and secondary account!

But this morning I get the sever timeout error (0x8004210A) on my primary account and so no messages are coming in.

Outlook displays 75% done while waiting before it times out. This is the percentage displayed when it is working normally.

I went to my Webmail on the ATT.net website and all my messages are making it in there. Given this information what

would you expect is wrong? I checked all my settings and they all look good. Nothing has changed from yesterday. I am

not using the secure mail key,  just the password.

I called 3 different ATT support numbers. This one seemed to get me to a person the fastest: 877-285-0144  However

the Indian women I spoke to was not helpful. She kept telling me that if the webmail was working then my password must

be OK and so the problem is not ATTs fault. Does Yahoo have an email technical support number?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

I too appreciate the answer.  In regards to your question/admonishment "Why are you using pop.att.yahoo.com in the first place?". In my case, I was TOLD to use that as the appropriate server to use in place of the long time use of "pop.yahoo.com" some time ago.  I wish Yahoo/ATT would email or somehow notify users of these changes instead of users having their emails suddenly just stop working.

Thanks for posting the links!

Contributor

• 

10 Messages

5 years ago

I know this is old but just an FYI. pop.att.yahoo.com and inbound.att.net resolve to the same set of IP addresses thus is the same servers. It seems neither ATT nor Yahoo cares.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.