For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Ashplue's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, April 12th, 2017 2:13 PM

Phone scam/phishing?

Both of my at&t numbers were called from our own numbers, when the phone rang it said "my info" like my phone was calling itself, when answered it was an at&t message prompting us to enter the last 4 of my social security number. Obviously we didn't and I called at&t, I wasn't given much help other than " it definitely wasn't us go to security and type phishing in. I haven't been able to find anything to explain it, what should I do?

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

7 years ago

Ignore calls like this, SCAMMERS. Use Caller ID (Get it if you don't have (With Uverse Voice, you do). Let all callers you don't know go to your machine, where you can monitor it, unlike voice mail (Don't have one GET ONE>>LOL). Buy a CallBlocker. I got one on amazon, where I can block up to 1,200 scammers. I am up to 199 and man is our phone much much quieter 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

7 years ago

Caller ID spoofing is the process of changing the caller ID to any number other than the calling number.  Sometimes it will be YOUR number so you WILL pick up.

As @shkarst said...do not answer unknown calls or suspicious calls.  Let it go to Voice Mail (cell) or a machine (home).

Employee

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

This same thing happened to me just a few minutes ago (two calls, about a minute apart, both appearing to be from my own number), and to my brother a few hours ago. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Its not an "unknown caller", therefore caller ID isnt helpful. The call coming in is your own phone number calling yourself. Of course its a crude recording and you wouldnt give your last four digits of your social security number.  But I'm sure there are many who do. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

What happens if you answer, after a very long day, and a re quite tired, and give the info?  What should you do after that?

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

6 years ago

Just happened on my cell phone; automated message in a female voice that said something along the lines "due to suspicious activity your AT&T account has been suspended" - I hung up at that point, since I have a pretty decent phishing sense being a systems security admin.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I am so very tired of this. I am just wondering why when reported these telephone numbers and e-mail addresses are not deleted?

I can only assume that regardless of all the caring words and guidance, the money made is more imnportant than deleting the culprits.

This cannot bee freespeech .....

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I just received a call on my cell from 360-203-1829. There are a huge amount of complaints indicated on the internet for this intimidation call. I have filed a complaint with the no call directory and again tried to file a complaint w/AT&T (again complaint did not get accepted for whatever reason). I have had wireless home calls, cell calls, bogus e-mails, the list goes on and on. Since I have been involved in the Target, BMO and Equifax breaches I have a pretty good idea why my "stuff" is out there.

What bothers me is the following:

AT&T, why does your call report not work?

Why must we all go through this when reporting seems to do nothing?

We must keep calling this out to the appropriate CORPORATION's, it cannot continue.

I intend to use this post each time this happens too me. Maybe someone will react to something or anything.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.8K Messages

6 years ago

That's the scam IRS call.  https://whocallsme.com/Phone-Number.aspx/3602031829

It's a 'robo' call....the computer dials random numbers to see if anyone will answer.  I got the call last year and since I don't answer unknown number they left a message.  I kept it on my voicemail and I listen to it when I need a giggle. 

You can block the original number but these scammers have a couple of different variations of the number and each would require another block.

I don't know why you would think ATT is responsible. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

6 years ago

I believe that the we must do everything we can to stop this ongoing mess. We file complaints, we block calls, we install ad blockers, etc. Nothing seems to stop mess. AT&T (Yahoo) are in a better position to do something since they are aware of the telephone numbers and e-mails addresses. I fully realize that a crook will always find a way but there should be someone who can but up roadblocks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.