For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
LDighera's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, August 19th, 2015 9:25 PM

Mailx .mailrc account syntax for IMAP server on worldnet.att.net

I'm attempting to configure Linux's mailx client to connect with AT&T's IMAP server however success eludes me thus far.  Because I can successfully send mail through the cox.net SMTP server, I am confident that the hardware is operational.

I'm struggeling with mailx's .mailrc file configuration.  Because the mailx manual page lacks a comprehensive description detailing the specific syntax of all the fields supported in a .mailrc account entry, and nothing significant (other than the 216.77.188.73:993 IP address and port) is echoed to the screen when initiating a connection with a mailx -A att -H -v command, and mailx doesn't provide a log file, it is difficult to debug.  It fails with a timeout error message.

Here is the current iteration of the account entry in the .mailrc file:

account att {set folder=imaps://LDighera@att.net:993/INBOXset imap-auth=loginset imap-auth-user=LDighera@att.netset imap-auth-password=set imap-use-starttls}

I'm hoping a kind Unix wizard familiar with this issue will enlighten me in the arcainea of .mailrc configuration and AT&T mail servers.

ADVthanksANCE

Larry

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

9 years ago

This .mailrc file works with the exception of the necessity of manually entering user ID and password:

[code]
account att {
set folder=imaps://imap.mail.att.net:993/INBOX
set imap-auth=login
set imap-auth-user=LDighera@att.net
set imap-auth-password=
set imap-use-starttls
}[/code]I hope this is of assistance to other Linux/Unix users.

Perhaps AT&T will consider adding this support information to their Email Support Page

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.