Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
mack1959's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Monday, February 4th, 2019 6:11 PM

I am not able to login into sbcglobal account via windows live mail

I did change the server settings in the account from pop.att.yahoo.com to imap.mail.att.net on incoming server and from smtp.att.yahoo.com to smtp.mail.att.net on outgoing.  (also changed port on incoming from 995 to 993)--was having login issue prior to making these changes and saw this in att community forum.   I still get the  following error message below:

Unable to send or receive messages for the pop.sbcglobal.yahoo.com account. The email server returned an error.

Server Error: 0x800CCC90
Server Response: * OK [CAPABILITY IMAP4rev1 SASL-IR AUTH=PLAIN AUTH=XOAUTH2 AUTH=OAUTHBEARER ID MOVE NAMESPACE XYMHIGHESTMODSEQ UIDPLUS LITERAL+ CHILDREN X-MSG-EXT] IMAP4rev1 Hello
Server: 'imap.mail.att.net'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC90
Protocol: POP3
Port: 993
Secure(SSL): Yes

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I did change the server settings in the account from pop.att.yahoo.com to imap.mail.att.net on incoming serve

If you were using POP before (pop.att.yahoo.com) why are you now trying to specify the IMAP server now?  I think you should being using inbound.att.net/995/ssl. SMTP for att/yahoo POP setup is outbound.att.net/465/ssl.

You cannot just take an existing account and switch it from POP to IMAP or vice versa.   That determination is done at account creation time.  If you are using POP and want to switch to using IMAP then you need to create a new account in your email client as IMAP using the server settings imap.mail.att.net/993/ssl.   For SMTP the server settings are smtp.mail.att.net/465/ssl.  

These settings are from the att server documentation you can find here.

Note, since you are updating your client settings it is recommended you also switch to using a secure mail key instead of your account password.  Read this (which includes a link to how to create a secure mail key).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.