For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
CIHCAH's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Tuesday, July 17th, 2018 6:50 PM

How to transfer SBCGLOBAL email to YAHOO email?

My wife and I have "...@sbcglobal.net" email addresses and use the YAHOO email web client to access them, presumably on AT&T mail servers and authenticated by an AT&T system. We'd like to transfer our email and folders (lots of history) to YAHOO email addresses - or at least to run on YAHOO email servers, so we can be better-integrated with other services that YAHOO offers. We can't find any answers on how to do that ... or even on how to download email and folders. Can anyone advise?  Thanks.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Just so I understand, you have an sbcglobal.net email address and a yahoo.net (or whatever) email address. Two different email accounts, one under att and one under yahoo.  You want to to move all the stuff you have in the sbcglobal.net account into the yahoo.net account.  Is that correct?  If so, the more general question/problem is how do you move the contents of one email account to another.  Is that essentially the question?

Simple answer.  If you are only using the webmail (i.e., these accounts through a browser) you cannot do it.

To effect moving from these particular two email services (which are both run by yahoo by the way) the only way you can do the transfer is to use an email client app (e.g., Thunderbird, Outlook, etc.).  Set up the from and to accounts as IMAP in the client.  Let the from account sync with the client, i.e., it's going to download all the mailboxes from the from server and their contents into the client (which could take a while).  Once downloaded copy the mailboxes from the from account in the client into the to account in the client.  That will cause the client to sync with the to server and thus upload all the stuff into the to account.  Of course, why use the webmail at all?  Just continue to use the client email app which, IMO, is always a better way to access email than a webmail through a browser? 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Thanks for the help. We were able to get it done using Outlook as the client, but it was a lot of work to transfer (download) all of the user-created folders, one-by-one. Seems like Yahoo should make it easier to export all email at once, even just for backup purposes. Thanks again.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

If you continue to use an email client instead of the webmail interface there is no reason for them to provide a backup facility since your client is the "backup" and I assume you backup your entire system periodically don't you?  Man Wink

Contributor

• 

1 Message

5 years ago

Did you leave the old / back-up on outlook or were you able to move it all back to your new yahoo ID? Trying to do the same thing with my att.net email now but can’t figure it out.  

Thanks.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.