Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Protect yourself online
M

• 

2 Messages

Thursday, April 30th, 2020 4:52 PM

att mail "unable to verify account name or password"

It is acting as if that user name mail account is locked out of the server mail access but is fine for the web interface.One att mail account stopped working from two different computers but other mail accounts on the same computers work fine.

I can login and read mail for that account on the att.net website using the same account name and password fine. I changed the password on the att.com site and the new password works fine on the att.net web site but fails from either computer the same way.

I have tried both POP (inbound/outbound.att.net) and IMAP (imap.mail.att.net) - same results.

[edit] Also tried creating a secure key on the att.com site and used that for the password - same results.

[edit again UPDATE] This gets even stranger. I found that I can use the mail app to *send* email form that user account and the received e-mail shows from that user. So SMTP (outbound.att.net) seems to be working. The server must be recognizing the user name and password, but will not allow incoming mail.

Hello ATT!! Any reps there that can help???? The problem must be with the ATT server.

Any idea how to fix this?

• 

2 Messages

4 years ago

Does anyone know who or where to call to talk to a human that can resolve this? I have spent 3 hours on the phone (only to be cut off) with reps that can only read a script on how to set up my email account. I need a tech that can look at the ATT server itself where the porblem is.

• 

2 Messages

3 years ago

I'm having the same issue, but if now one has responded to this in 10 months I guess I'll look elsewhere.

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Sorry to be late to this party, but this is what works for me on this problem.

1) Login to your ATT web email portal as you will potentially need confirmation code access and given your application email is hosed, then you will be in a catch 22 situation without it. 

2) Login to your online ATT web account portal and find your profile settings.

3) From profile find your mail setting and specifically create a "secure mail key nickname" and they will squirt back to you a crappy long random string.  Write this down or cut-n-paste it to notes.

4) For me I then went back to my Apple Mail and updated my password fields for both inbound and outbound servers with this crappy long random string.

5) Verification completed fine

6) Email on Apple mail worked fine

7) Repeat on iPhone etc...

8) REALLY?????  ATT you warm my heart...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.