Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Wunntu's profile

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 29th, 2022 1:30 AM

Closed

Why is it so hard to cancel a service with at&t

Been trying for 3 hours on the phone with customer service to cancel an internet service that I am the primary acct holder on. I have  2 accts but only need to cancel the internet that was in service at my son's residence.  I have called 5 times but 4 of those times the rep says the passcode is incorrect.  The 5th call, the rep said that I had the wrong dept but he would transfer me when someone was available.  I sat on hold for a solid hour, every few minutes the rep would come on to say that he was still waiting for the right person to help me cancel the service. I finally just got aggravated and hung up. I still have a service that I cannot seem to get cancelled because at&t has intentionally made it difficult and for what reason?  Wifi service (Edited per community guidelines), customer service (Edited per community guidelines), cancellation policy (Edited per community guidelines)!   Wish AT&T would put more effort into providing good internet service and less effort into making it so difficult to cancel a  service with them.  There are Way too many competitors these days that would love to have at&ts business.  Guess it's about time to give another  company a call. 

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

You call and at the voice prompt say cancel service and it will route you to retention who can cancel. 

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

2 years ago

During normal business hours you call AT&T and when you get the voice prompt you say "cancel". That gets you to the correct department without additional transfers, or the agent not transferring correctly.

If the passcode is not correct, and they cannot verify and reset over the phone, you might end up having to go to a AT&T (owned/corporate) store to prove identity and reset from there.

Be prepared services canceled will take effect at the end of the bill cycle. So, there will be no proration for any time you weren't planning on using. Also be ready to take required equipment (like the internet Gateway) to a participating FedEx/The UPS Store for the free return.

2 Messages

2 months ago

It took me more than hour to have Rep answering my call. (Edited per community guidelines) 

Minus 5 stars for their service. 

(edited)

2 Messages

2 months ago

Cancel is super super hard and take a long long call, hate it so much

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

2 months ago

@tungbachtk 

No company wants to make it super easy. Yes some agents go overboard.

Any agent would be expected to find out why you are canceling to see about making a reasonable save offer. Naturally companies don't want them to accept the first "no" so an initial pushback to address anything further that came up would be within reason. But when an agent goes beyond this and just continues to stonewall is where I would request a supervisor.

My understanding this is because retention agents are scored on their save rate, which impacts incentives, bonuses and the like. This is similar to those in a store working on commission where they focus on sales. In general, not so different from any other company.

If you need help or guidance, please start your own thread or find a recent relevant one. Thread from about 2 years ago (2022) will be CLOSED

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.