For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
pcmike's profile

• 

6 Messages

Tuesday, May 23rd, 2023 1:35 AM

South FL (33463), when will we get the 2/5g tiers? Comcast rolling out EPON (fiber into the home)…

We’ve had AT&T fiber in my neighborhood for a few years now and yet we still haven’t seen the new speed tiers. Comcast is in the final stage (in home fiber install) of rolling out EPON in my neighborhood (1100 homes) and yet AT&T is still sitting on their laurels. You’d think AT&T would take this opportunity to one up Comcast before they even officially offer fiber into the home, especially since it’s a pretty easy upgrade to support XGS-PON. How do I make a formal request to have the higher speed tiers made available in my neighborhood? Come on AT&T, you can do it! 🙏🏻👍🏻

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

11 months ago

Do all 1100 homes have ATT fiber option?

If yes, there are (2) separate PFP serving the area. The maximum a double door PFP can support is 864 addresses.

Regardless if best speeds are 1000, this is GPON with up to 32 addresses per splitter. XSGPON splitters would need to be placed, then each customer wanting to upgrade would need to schedule a new installation to switch the splitters, replace the ONTs and gateways believe most currently would be 010 ONT with BGW 210 gateways swapping to BGW 320 with repmoval of the ONT and wall bracket. This would require both upgrade of PFPs, and having necessary equipment and techs available. 

All recent new installed PFP have the XSGPON ONT with goal of adding 1 million fiber customer per year this is better than 2700 installations every day but holidays. Like many employers since Covid workers are hard to come back, even with offering $5k to $10K hiring bonus just one garage I know of is short 8 techs. With 10 garages in our market, if all facing similar issue means our market needs to hire 100 techs, takes at least 4 to 6 months of training before a tech could make a difference. If true for the 100+ markets where fiber is being offered that is 10,000 techs needing to be hired and trained. 

I retired from the company end of April and the next most senior Uverse tech in the garage is leaving June 2.

Not everyone hired completes training… aware of one who quit during the first week (pole climbing) and another who quit after 3 months (received first hiring bonus check).

While I do believe your PFP will eventually be upgraded to some XSGPON, when is questionable. Recommend checking available speed tiers for your and neighbors addresses once a month. 

• 

6 Messages

11 months ago

We have at least three if not 4 PFPs (I believe) in the community of some 12+ subdivisions with 1100 homes. The point I’m trying to make is it’s probably in AT&T’s best interest to consider possibly moving up whatever plans they may or may not have for our neighborhood in response to Comcast’s EPON project coming to an end in the next couple months. I’m just trying to get the word to someone who can make some decisions rather than wait for AT&T to “get around to it.” Squeaky wheel usually gets the grease and all that jazz. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.