For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
saketvora's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 27th, 2019 5:19 AM

What specific type of fiber is compatible with AT&T U-Verse?

I'm scheduled to have AT&T U-Verse fiber installed but have a problem with the ONT location. The wire drop from the telephone pole in the front of my house reaches the house where the nursery room is. First, I don't want the ONT installed there, and 2) the house does not have Cat5e or better run throughout the walls.

I'd like the ONT to be installed in the living room where my modem, AV equipment, and TV already are. But this is on the opposite corner of the house to where the telephone pole is.

My thought that I could run a fiber line through the crawlspace or around the outside perimeter of the house and get it inside the living room, and then the AT&T technician could just ideally patch into this fiber run.

But what kind of fiber optic should I run through the house then? I have searched and can't find any specific info on what kind of fiber cable is compatible to patch into what AT&T already uses. Or is patching impossible? If I have to leave excess cable for the tech to take it and get it back to the pole in 1 continuous run I could do that too, but I need to know what kind of fiber optic cable I should get. 

Multimode? Single mode? # or strands? What other parameters are important?

Thanks for your help.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

I'd abandon the idea of providing your own fiber.  I don't know if there's even a standardized cable that covers all AT&T areas and even if you do get something compatible, I'm betting the tech still won't take a chance using anything but what AT&T provides them.

I think a better idea is to run a pull string from the nursery to the living room.  The technician is going to put the Slack NID on the outside of the house near where the pole drop comes in.  Then they will connect a separate fiber cable there to run to the ONT.  So if you could get a pull string to that outside location you should be set.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.