For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
K

• 

11 Messages

Tuesday, January 19th, 2021 4:05 AM

Orbi mesh router (RBR50) with an ATT Gateway (BGW320-500)

I've been researching how to configure my home network with an Orbi and 2 safelites and my new AT&T Gateway. Most advice says to configure the Orbi for access-point mode and set the AT&T Gateway for passthrough.

What is the purpose of the 'Enable Cascaded Router' on the BGW320-50 option if having the two routers interact is not a suitable architectural solution? Don't large companies often have multiple routers?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

3 years ago

I've been researching how to configure my home network with an Orbi and 2 safelites and my new AT&T Gateway. Most advice says to configure the Orbi for access-point mode and set the AT&T Gateway for passthrough.

You could do one or the other, but not both.  Placing the Orbi in Access Point mode assumes that the Gateway will be serving as a router.  Placing the Gateway in IP Passthrough means that the Gateway will assume the Orbi is acting as a router.  So doing both will leave you "router-less", which isn't a good thing.  I'd normally recommend that you leave the Orbi in Router mode and put the Gateway in IP Passthrough and turn its Wi-Fi off.

What is the purpose of the 'Enable Cascaded Router' on the BGW320-50 option if having the two routers interact is not a suitable architectural solution? 

The purpose of the "Cascaded Router" is when you have a public static block that you want to hand to a router behind your Gateway.  If you have no public static block, then this configuration is not intended for you.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

3 years ago

I believe that you need to place your gateway in pass through mode (similar to bridge mode) if you want to connect another router to it. That way you avoid a double NAT and leave all of the heavy lifting to the Orbi. I use the RBR50 (not with AT&T) and it works very well for the size of our house and property. As a side note, if you can hard wire the satellites (at least one) for the back channel you'll get much better performance (reliability).

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

But i am told you also need to put the Orbi in AP mode, loosing the router functionality.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

3 years ago

I had not heard that so hopefully someone else can elaborate. Placing the gateway in pass through mode should disable the router portion so that you can add a fully functional router to the gateway. If you can't, then you'd probably be better off to use the AirTies extender that AT&T sells. Using the Orbi as just an AP and not a mesh WiFi is a waste.

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks. This does make sense to me.

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

One last question.. should I turn DHCP server off on the BGW320-500 and let the Orbi manage DHCP?

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

3 years ago

You should not be able to turn of the DHCP server on the BGW320.   With the Orbi acting as a router, it will service any DHCP requests it sees and they'll never get to the BGW320.  The obvious exception would be things connected directly to the BGW320, but that's not going to be much, if anything.

I would change the LAN IP space on one of the two devices so that they both won't be using 192.168.1.0/24. Doesn't matter which you change.  192.168.2.0/24 or 172.16.1.0/24 (or any other private IPv4 address space is fine).  When you do this, then you can connect to the Gateway from the Orbi's network.  Otherwise, you won't be able to.  (Because if the Gateway is at 192.168.1.254 and the Orbi thinks it owns 192.168.1.0/24, it will not know how which 192.168.1.254 you mean).

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Can you please expand on that last paragraph for a layman's understanding? How would I change the LAN space on the Gateway or the Orbi.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

3 years ago

Oh, sorry.  On the Gateway, it would look like this:

I've changed the gateway's LAN address from 192.168.1.254 to 192.168.2.254, and altered the range of address it gives out via DHCP to Start: 192.168.2.64 and End: 192.168.2.253.  Don't forget to hit Save.

The same sort of thing could be done on the Orbi instead.  Can't show you a screenshot.  But you don't have to do both, either one is fine.

Once you make this change, remember that the local address of that device has changed, and you need to use the new IP to connect to it using the Browser.

• 

11 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks! And, what if I don't do that?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.