For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet

AT&T related help: Set up your BGW320

CLCMH's profile

• 

5 Messages

Sunday, May 8th, 2022 3:13 AM

Installing a BGW210 without an ONT.

I ordered 1G service for a new house. It has an AT&T fiber port inside. There has never been an ONT on this house. There was an old POTS line NID but AFAIK there has never been an external ONT. He kept asking me about a small box inside with blinking lights. There is nothing inside that house. It’s empty. I just bought it yesterday. He even said he is required to run “an electrical systems check” before he agreed to send a technician. No equipment was found because nothing is connected to the fiber port! I called order support who they sent me to loyalty who sent me to tech support. When I told the guy the only thing I have is an AT&T branded fiber optic port on the wall with the fiber coming through and terminated inside the green connecter then snapped into the beige housing he kind of became dumbfounded. I then told him you can visibly trace it from inside the house (because it comes right through the wall and terminates as a fiber port) and up the pole (5 feet from the window) to the node/switch on the trunk line he was further mystified that I was sent a BGW210. He set an appointment up for Tuesday morning. Am I going to have a struggle to get the correct gateway or are they going to drop me back to copper? My current internal network is all 10G (OM4) fiber. Even my APs use 2.5GbE ports. I’m ok with using a high quality shielded CAT 6a or better cable to connect the BGW320’s 5G port to my network, but I’m not ok running CAT5E from a newly mounted box outside through another randomly drilled hole. It seems like a regression in AT&T’s build-out scheme

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

2 years ago

Sounds line the previous owner took the equipment

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

2 years ago

Maybe I'm missing something but it sounds exactly like how new installs with the BGW320 are set up these days.  Fiber to the wall port, fiber patch cable to the SFP in the 320.  If so, then the previous owner did exactly what was required and returned/or took their 320 to their new home.  Sounds like AT&T's records were wrong (shocker, I know).

Even if there's some reason they won't give you a 320 (shortage of inventory) then they would just install the ONT near the gateway, not outside the area.
I think you'll be fine.

• 

5 Messages

2 years ago

Update:

Tech arrived this morning and I have a brand new 320 connected as expected.

The tech said something about my account’s assigned port in the cabinet being used by another account and if we get light he would try to get the system to take the 320. He said another account uses the 210 and is using the port assigned to my house which is in line with the official “send the last known good gateway model for the account”. As far as the order system was concerned I needed the 210. 

I’m 100% convinced that before he saw my fiber port he thought I was trying to pull a fast one to get the 320 because the notes on the order said “customer requests BGW320”. When he got there and saw that the only telecom ports in my entire house were a single coax for Charter and AT&T’s slimline SC/ACP housing (side by side), he understood why I said I needed the 320 when I called into order support. At the end of the day my original order promise was fulfilled and I have a great signal.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.