For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Anjum01's profile

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, April 9th, 2019 1:42 PM

How to make Ethernet in each room get internet

Hi I live in a smart home made by Lennar. The home came with a patch panel which contains Ethernet ports for the 4 rooms however the At&T technician only installed internet for one of the rooms that has Ethernet. There is a white cable that provides cable connected to the patch panel for that room. However I have 3 other rooms which Ethernet and those jacks and are not connected to the internet. The patch panels for room 2-4 do not have a wire connecting them to the internet any help on how to get internet to room 2-4. The patch panel is set with all the wires going from patch to rooms just need internet for room 2-4 any help please 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

I’m not sure if it’s a patch panel but based on google it’s a main hub where all the Ethernet that go to each room in my home end up to and there is a total of 4 Ethernet ports and only one is connected at this hub/ patch 

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

(Edited) See included image...

39CCE176-9F08-40BE-B71A-F1EC81F993D7.jpeg

5EA84D6B-F8EB-4C71-895C-BDFFFFD6AB75.jpeg

770B72B6-3E05-472B-8727-5D52A299D38F.jpeg

3 Attachments

(edited)

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

As you can see from listed photos only one room is getting internet and that is where my fiber modem/router is connected to but I want all Ethernet ports in my home to have access to internet. Also my direct tv has a coaxial going to Ethernet in the same room for internet 

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

You will need to purchase a switch such as the one pictured below. Plug the yellow cable into the first port. Then connect ethernet cables from the remaining ports on the device into the remaining ports in your closet box. You will need to purchase short 12 inch ethernet cables. I hope this helps!

teg-s18txe_d02_2.jpgteg-s18txe_d01_2.jpg

2 Attachments

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much. Can I buy any Ethernet switch or is there a specific one I need? Because I was reading the switch needed to be connected to the modem to work. I was looking on amazon there are some for $15 bucks just wanted to know if I can get any? Thank you for your response and help 

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

No special one required except you need one that has enough ports to accommodate the number of outlets you have in your house plus one (1) to go between the modem and the switch itself. In this case, 9. Again, one (1) port for the connection between the Modem and the Switch, and the remaining ports for the outlets throughout your house.

Also, a "Gigabit" switch would be preferred. 10/100/1000 Mbps

There are switches that have five (5) ports and many many more more available. Just find one with the a price you can afford and a minimum of 9 ports.

You will find there are many brands out there and with fan base support for a lot of them. 

This is the one I use now. Keep in mind, my house has 12 outlets so I do have some unused ports. This one is VERY quiet and has Gigabit speed.

NETGEAR 16-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Switch, Desktop (GS316) NETGEAR https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01AX8XHRQ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_8AlRCbVNV04Y3

Here is another one on Amazon:

D-Link 16-Port Gigabit Switch (DGS-1016A) D-Link

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0092KZBCQ/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_SzlRCb57XPMT6

Also, there are "managed" switches out there. I would opinion that you do not need this type of switch for your situation. 

I hope this helps!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much for your help and information I have one last question. My modem is in room 1 where the Ethernet is connected to. The modem is not at this box that has all the Ethernet ports where I will be connecting the Ethernet switch. Will it still work the Ethernet switch even though my modem is not at the box and is placed in another room? Or do I have to bring the modem to the Ethernet switch? 

Teacher

• 

29 Messages

5 years ago

I'm going to guess a little here because this is sight unseen and only based on your awesome photos.

Yes, you would need to relocate your modem to your closet box and plug the Yellow cable into the modem.

(The white cable coming from the bottom left of your closet box terminating in a RJ45 connection and the Yellow cable is most likely the feed coming from the utility box normally on the side of your house. Typically the side of your garage.)

Once you connect everything (modem & switch), in the closet box, the connection port where the modem was originally located at (room 1) now becomes a connection port to the network/internet.

Now keep in mind, if you need more wired connections to devices that were nearby where the modem was originally (room 1), you can very well add another switch at this location. 

As a side note, WiFi is very convenient but wired (direct) connections to the network are always better! 

I hope this helps!

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

5 years ago

Thank you so much for your help. I greatly appreciate it! 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.