For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
A

• 

7 Messages

Thursday, November 5th, 2020 4:09 AM

Help Needed with Wired Internet

My husband and I are getting ready to move in to a new house! It has cat5 cables ran to 4 rooms and we want each of these to be live once we get our internet set up! The cat5 cables all meet together in the attic. What do we need to do to enable an AT&T tech no make every room live? I’ve done a bunch of research and from what I can tell we need to install a switcher to connect all the cat5 cables together? Is that correct or am I way off? Any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!! 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

@Artemis23 

I’m assuming this is the way the builder intends it to be done and that others have done so without issue. 

More likely the builder just used to old Coax cable TV model where the the Coax from each room ran to a common attic space where the Cable TV tech would install a splitter. I think you will find both the Coax and Ethernet in the attic at the same general location.

Yes your plan will work to a point but temps may be an issue in the attic in the summer or winter and shorten the life of your Ethernet switch. You can get a basic 5-8 port switch for less than $50.

Here are a couple of links for reference: https://www.netgear.com/business/products/switches/unmanaged/GS105.aspx#tab-techspecs

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=netgear+gs105&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Dave

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

3 years ago

If just cat5 that probably should be replaced. Even the budget minimum these days is Cat5e, though Cat6 or Cat6a is preferred. Don't get Cat7, and only get Cat8 if you need the high end by usage and having full Gigabit service.

Depends on distance and what it is used for vs what internet capability you have on what level of equipment to get. The Gateway (modem/router combo unit) should be in a central location.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you! They very well may be 5e, I will check with the builder.

The plan is to have the gateway put in the center bedroom (office), which is about as center in the house as it can get. We would then run an Ethernet cable from the gateway and up to the switch in the attic to make the other 3 rooms live as well. 

I have not come across another way to make the other rooms live. Does this seem like a viable plan? 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

3 years ago

You have a couple of challenges.

The first one is if you want to put an Ethernet switch in the attic space you will need an electrical outlet or a switch that supports PoE power. Next up is how hot or cold will this attic space get during the year?

The next challenge is the AT&T Fiber install tech will want to run a Fiber drop to you center bedroom (office) where you want the AT&T Gateway to be located.

Do you know if your address actually qualifies for Fiber service today? Check your address at this page:

https://www.att.com/availability/

Dave

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Hi Dave! Yes we do have fiber service and already have a tech scheduled to come out next week! The fiber will be installed to the bedroom through an outside wall, this is the way they do every house in our area. We also have an electrician coming out next week. They are doing other electrical work for us but are also prepared to install an outlet in the attic for the switch to go to. 

I can not speak to the temperatures in the attic, but as all the cat5 wires are ran there  I’m assuming this is the way the builder intends it to be done and that others have done so without issue. We’ll be sure to read temperature guidelines on whichever switcher we pick. I just want to make sure this plan will work to make all our rooms live before I have the electrician install the outlet and purchase the switch! 

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

3 years ago

Att techs sometimes have switches on their trucks. The tech may be able to use an att switch for your install. 

Show the tech where everything is, what you want and let them describe or show you how to get it to all work. 

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Thank you all for the replies! I feel much better now! We will see how the temperature impacts the cables and switch. If worse comes to worse we may have to reroute them one day and find a different solution but for now we will see how this works! I am just happy to be able to make every room live! 

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

3 years ago

My recommendation is have the electrician extend your current wiring to a central point in a closet with added power for switch and other if needed. Easy access, temp control. 

Normally seen in our area, especially newer construction 

https://preview.redd.it/8sqpt8zwbwd31.jpg?width=800&format=pjpg&auto=webp&s=5ff4bec2aa727ac28569e19fcabc13a71e9eba8a

Placed between the studs in the closet.... then dry walled. 

Should be easy enough to add extensions using some cat wiring and 3M scotchloks.

https://youtu.be/JD8T4yrDaEY

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.