For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
jw1988's profile

5 Messages

Monday, April 22nd, 2024 7:07 PM

Fiber installation into existing conduit

I ordered fiber internet, which was installed last summer. The burial was, simply, terrible. It's buried in our backyard an average of about 2" deep, with several sections well above the ground for several feet at a time.

Because of unrelated reasons, we have to regrade our backyard, which will involve ripping up the top several inches of soil and certainly cutting the existing fiber. If we install conduit as part of the yardwork, will the repair/installation team run the fiber through it or will they lay another one on the ground and later bury it an inch below the surface?

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

11 days ago

If install a pull string from point to point a tech should install a new fiber line, no sharp bends as the fiber line has two rods on the side of the fiber. Think bends around radius of basketball not baseball. 

How long would you estimate the conduit to be? Two hundred feet or less…. Or longer?

The initial point coming down from a pole or from a buried pedestal / hand hole?

pic(s)…

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

11 days ago

About using the conduit, that will most likely be up to the installer when they get there, no one on this board can answer your question on that. As far as your current drop, NEC code 830.47 states direct buried communications lines are to be a minimum of 18 inches. Practically none meets those requirements as the contractors that bury the lines get paid by the job and the faster they do it the more money they make. Obviously there's no quality control on AT&T's part. 

(edited)

5 Messages

11 days ago

Thanks a bunch for the info! Any suggestion on conduit diameter? I assume pretty small (3/4"?) should be fine (as long as bend radius is sufficiently large).

Conduit should be 260 feet, give or take 10 feet. Initial point is a ground pedestal, so I'd pop the conduit up right beside it, presumably.

I'll try and take some pictures when I get home from work.

5 Messages

11 days ago

As far as conduit goes, the burial was so bad that I'm worried about my neighbor (or myself) cutting it with a lawnmower, that's how high it was sticking out of the ground. In googling, this appeared to be a pretty common complaint. I read NEC 830.47 to say that the cable has to be 18 inches below, unless in non-metallic conduit, which would require 12 inches. I'm not opposed to burying the cable deeper myself, but if I'm going through that effort, I might as well put in the conduit.

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

11 days ago

Yes it's direct buried that's 18 inches, no conduit. 

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

11 days ago

Well, I lost a long post. So, I have over 900ft of inch pvc conduit installed by an independent company that does follow NEC code. 3/4 should be fine but run down an installer if you see one and ask. I can tell you I had 1/2 inch into the home and no problem, but I wouldn't use that small for a long pull. Don't use 90's use sweeps for your 90 degree bends, bend radius is pretty important with fiber. 

5 Messages

8 days ago

Thanks for the info from both of you. If we do need to have the line rerun because it was buried so poorly and gets cut, what sort of costs would we be looking at? Just the $99 for rolling the truck or would there be more to it?

We could intentionally dig it up ahead of time to make sure it doesn't get cut, but then would need to cut it somewhere to pull it through the conduit.

Employee

• 

159 Messages

8 days ago

2-4 inch is reality when contractors bury the line. Sometimes they just use a pick if its short distance and don't even bother to unload trenching machine.

(edited)

5 Messages

8 days ago

Burying it that shallowly seems to be the consensus on the internet and the tech seemed to confirm when he dropped the fiber that the contractors would do a poor job at best. I have to confess that I thought the entire thing would actually be underground instead of sticking up for animals/kids/lawnmowers to break. That's the main motivation for us wanting to bury it at a reasonable depth and protect it with conduit (combined with the fact that I don't trust them to do it correctly bury if I called them out to fix it).

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

8 days ago

If it were me and they tried to charge me for the repair I'd quote the NEC requirements and ask why they didn't even come close to adhering to them.  Any argument then file an FCC complaint. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.