For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
Missylaw's profile

5 Messages

Sunday, April 7th, 2024 12:59 PM

AT&T fiber box not same as in instructions can’t get cable to work

Received self set up equipment. I received

a red cable.  My AT&T fiber box is not the same as one in the directions. Cable doesn’t fit.  Am I missing something? 

Accepted Solution

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

24 days ago

Should there have been SFP connectors provided?  I have watched several YouTube videos and they all seem to have them. I do not.

is it possible the renter before me could have taken. It with his box? Very frustrated.

Yes you should have received an SFP+ Optical transceiver. The Optical transceiver slides into the lowest slot at the back of your BGW320 and extends about an inch and that is where you plug your Fiber jumper cable between the Fiber wall port and your BGW320.

Here is an image at the bottom of my post showing the SFP+ Optical transceiver (Example). There are 3 current versions and the one sent to you may have different information on the white sticker. It should have been in a small Green box included in your self-install kit.

Yes the previous renter returned their SFP+ Optical along with the BGW320 as AT&T expected. You need to call AT&T at 1-800-288-2020. Tell the CSR that you have a failed self-install since you received an incomplete self-install kit. They will either ship you a new SFP+ Transceiver or schedule a local Tech to drop one off.

Dave

Accepted Solution

5 Messages

24 days ago

YES!!! That is the part I am missing!!  Thank you!! And to everyone who responded!!!!

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

27 days ago

That's where the fiber plugs in to go to the type modem that has a built in ONT, has a green fiber end. What you're describing is for the red ethernet port on a modem that has an external ONT. Provide the model number of your modem/gateway. 

5 Messages

27 days ago

It’s the Humax BGW 320-500

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

27 days ago

That has the built in ONT. If you weren't supplied a fiber connector, call customer service. There're others on this board who are a lot better versed on AT&T supplied gateways than I am. May want to see what they say. 

Scholar

• 

3.8K Messages

27 days ago

@Missylaw 

You will need to call 1-800-288-2020 if you did not also receive a White cable (SC/AC) jumper fiber cable and a box with an Optical transceiver that would plug into the lowest port on the back of the BGW320-500.

They sent you the wrong self-install kit. The one you received was for connecting to an external ONT. You have a Fiber wall plate and the ONT is within the BGW320-500.

Dave

5 Messages

24 days ago

Ok. AT&t mailed me the fiber cable Green/white and it still doesn’t fit into back of box. It fits into the wall plate, just not the box.  Should there have been SFP connectors provided?  I have watched several YouTube videos and they all seem to have them. I do not.

is it possible the renter before me could have taken. It with his box? Very frustrated.

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

24 days ago

BGW320-500 manual see the rear diagram fiber connection bottom right across from the power connection. 

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

24 days ago

The SFP is based on the type of splitter your connected to at the PFP.

The question is knowing what that splitter is...

GPON splitter supports internet speeds of 300, 500 and 1000 with a GREEN band SFP.

XGSPON splitter supports speeds of 300, 500, 1000, 2000 and 5000 with a RED SFP.

Will be best to request a service tech appointment to install the correct SFP and ensure good light level plus activation of the ONT.

Employee

• 

160 Messages

24 days ago

Yes theres a seperate SFP bridge that you should have received. Its like adapter you plug in sfp port and then your green and white cable plugs into adapter itself as shown in the video. https://www.att.com/support/article/u-verse-high-speed-internet/KM1391603/

If you are aa new customer you can have tech come free of charge to take care of it for you.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.