For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
chris843's profile

Contributor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, January 22nd, 2020 1:55 AM

Wifi consistently disconnects on cell phones but no other devices.

We have this weird thing going on with our WiFi. Here recently our phones will lose the wireless signal. We have not changed our phones or the U-Verse hardware since we started having this problem. I have an Android phone, but my wife's iPhone is a lot worse.

I set up a guest wireless and if I connect to that one makes a big difference for me. I stop losing the WiFi, and a lot of times my speeds are better. Unfortunately, for my wife's iPhone it doesn't matter if she's on the main one or the guest one...it will still drop the WiFi signal.

My guess is that it's some kind of software setting causing the problems, but not sure why all of a suddenly it becomes an issue??? I'm not even sure where to start with the troubleshooting.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

4 years ago

You don't say with AT&T Gateway you have so I'll take a stab that you have the BGW-210.

Go into your browser and head to 192.168.1.254. That's the UI for the gateway. You'll have to go to Home Network, IPV6 for the first thing....

1, Make sure IPv6 is disabled in the AT&T Gateway

Then go to Home Network, WiFi for this one....

2. Change the gateway to have a different SSID name for the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. The gateway and device are supposed to work out the best band at any particular moment and automatically change (called band steering) should conditions warrant. But that feature doesn't work very well, especially with iPhones. So by making separate wifi networks and connecting the phones to one or the other, that should help with the drops.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.