Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
R

• 

3 Messages

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021 3:48 AM

White box between ONT and Gateway

Can anyone tell me what the white box is below the ONT and if it’s necessary. No model or manufacturer on the box. Appears to be just a coupler. Cat cable from ONT terminates into it and in turn sends Cat cable to gateway. 

Thanks

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

3 years ago

The white box is often referred to as a biscuit ... holds the internal jack, in this case an RJ45, offering protection to the jack and wiring which would be exposed if not for the structure. 

Similar purpose of the NID or terminal, house the internal wiring and components while joining two items...

IF had an RJ45 end on the cat5e or cat6 wiring could plug directly into the ONT.

Many times techs will use the jack / biscuit both for looks and provide a point of troubleshooting compared to direct connection RJ45 end.

The wiring of jack and placement holder is the same concept used for wall plates... wire a keystone jack and insert into wall plate for flush mount providing a quick disconnect / connection instead of having wiring coming out of wall placing an RJ45 ethernet end on a flopping wire. 

Attach Keystone Jack To Wall Plate | Infinity Cable Products

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

Thanks. It currently joins to Cat 5e cables. Was going to bypass the box and replace with one Cat 6 directly from the ONT to the gateway. Would that work fine?

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

3 years ago

yes... can go to direct connect straight thru wiring of cat5e or cat6. If attaching wiring using staple gun be careful not to pierce the wiring and damaging the cable which will result in no service... the RG needs all (4) pairs intact from the ONT in order to work. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

@rwmullis79   Just curious as to why you want to change the setup.  Is it strictly to have a CAT6 cable to the gateway rather than CAT5e or is there some problem with the existing cabling?

Former Employee

• 

22.5K Messages

3 years ago

@tonydi I suspect the OP wants to finish the walls (drywall) and have new wiring ran within the wall(s) to the gateway location.

Most likely this is either a remodel job in progress or a basement finishing project which is why I included wall plate concept for both the ONT location and the gateway location..

(edited)

• 

3 Messages

3 years ago

It’s in an unfinished bonus room and I’ll eventually finish. I have a single Cat 6 and was thinking of going ahead and just cleaning it up. I know the Cat 6 has higher bandwidth, but don’t know enough about the stuff to know if it would provide any benefit in a residential situation. I imagine it probably wouldn’t. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

3 years ago

Yeah, a good CAT5e is more than capable as long as it's not longer than spec (100m). If it's a simple task to swap in a CAT6 then go for it; who knows when we might see multi-gigabit service and have devices that could take advantage of it.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.