For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
mrb303's profile

4 Messages

Saturday, April 27th, 2024 3:06 AM

Slow download speeds on Battlenet

When I first got gigabit fiber, downloads were very fast on Battlenet, ~110 MB/s. However, lately it's been 1-5 MB/s. When I toggle on Cloudflare WARP, download speeds increase to ~60 MB/s. My computer is wired, not on wifi. Speed tests show that it seems to be normal. What is causing this?

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

12 days ago

Is it just Battlenet or are other services affected? If just them could be slow upload on their end or specific route between you and them.

4 Messages

12 days ago

Just Battlenet, I have no problems downloading from Steam, for example. So who can I report this problem to? What kind of diagnostics can I run to pinpoint which hub(s) is/are bottlenecking my speeds? I don't like to keep toggling on VPN to get around this since changing connections will interrupt my other services.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

12 days ago

Your other services? What do have running alongside Battlenet? Just wondering if there is any odd interaction there.

4 Messages

12 days ago

Nothing bandwidth intensive, just standard logged in services like Discord, Xbox app, or sitting idly in an online game. I could have all that running and my downloads on Steam would still reach the top end of what I would expect, however, they have recently been abysmal on Battlenet.

ACE - Expert

• 

32.2K Messages

12 days ago

I would first check your download limits in Battlenet itself, just to be sure no throttle was set. Could unplug Gateway for a few minutes and then boot backup to see if that makes a difference once everything is freshly registered.

Model of  Gateway?

Are you connected directly to it or have your own router or anything in between?

When the issue started did anything else happen at that time?

May have to run a ping test to the Battlenet servers to see the route it is taking and if there are any hops that show an issue.

Since you see improvement with VPN, I would run a ping test with that on to compare differences.

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

11 days ago

Had a similar issue with Microsoft gamepass.  I don’t download much from it but I would say the speed was a third to half of what the connection supports.  Steam is fine.  Even if you can prove Att isn’t giving the best path to download servers, it’s a stretch to get them to take action, but if you can gather evidence, share it here please. @JefferMC might make suggestions on what useful data to collect.  Personally though I’d rather be playing than wasting time playing detective.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

11 days ago

To diagnose this, I would try to capture traceroutes to the BattleNet servers.  It would be nice to have traceroutes when there's not a problem and when there is.  I'd try it with Cloudflare WARP on and off to see what the difference is (which really can only be that the DNS name translates to a different IP address).

If you can establish that there is congestion or chaotic routing in the AT&T network, then we can try to get someone to send a ticket to the core networking teams.  Ideally, I would like to have multiple people with the same complaint and similar traceroutes to help build the case.

If we find the issue is in a peering network, we can ask AT&T not to use that peer, but that's a real longshot.

If the case we build is that the issue is inside the BattleNet network, then you can give them the evidence and hope they'll look into it (When they do have a problem, odds are they already know and are just trying to divert people while they try to clean it up).

4 Messages

8 days ago

Thanks JefferMC, I'll try to provide that info. I actually did a tracert with and without WARP, but lost the screenshot a few days before starting this thread, I'll do it again next time there is a game update (Call of Duty on Battlenet). There was a Pre-Release Content download today for an upcoming patch, but resource monitor showed that it was downloading from Akamai CDNs, which had no problems reaching near max expected download speeds (patch-day downloads are direct from Battlenet servers, so I'll find out then).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.