Let AT&T help you elebrate your dad with Father's Day Gifts that connect us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
dcstewar76's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, October 20th, 2019 3:06 PM

NAS No Longer Visible on Network - ARRIS BGW210-700

Hello - I have a RAID NAS array that I've used for years.  I recently upgraded to AT&T Fiber 1000 and received the ARRIS BGW210-700 as my residential gateway.  My NAS worked fine for the first two weeks, but now the drive won't appear on the network with my Mac.  I can't go to the NAS configuration utility using my usual method (http://lacie-2big-nas.local) but interestingly enough I can type in the IP address of the NAS and reach the utility.  In the same manner, my Mac doesn't automatically see the NAS on the network, as the usual connection no longer works (afp://LaCie-2big-NAS._afpovertcp._tcp.local), but again, I found I can type in the IP address directly and my Mac will mount the drive (afp://192.168.1.79).  The problem with this method is that my Mac doesn't "remember" the drive after a reboot and I have to manually mount it again.  I also use my NAS for my Time Machine backup and need it to be natively accessible to my Mac like it always has been.  I've called AT&T tech support and they concluded that the issue lies with Apple or with Lacie (the maker of my NAS).  I've looked through my NAS's logs and there have been no software updates.  Same with my Mac.  I can't explain why it worked successfully for a couple of weeks and then stopped, but I did find this article about the BGW210-700 conflicting with .local addresses (https://forums.att.com/t5/AT-T-Fiber-Equipment/How-can-I-disable-the-quot-local-quot-domain-in-my-BGW210-700/td-p/5729828 ).  Any ideas?  I've reached out to Lacie, but the more I research the more I think that it has to do with the .local address not resolving.  Would appreciate any help.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

The one thing you didn't mention was if the BGW got a firmware update right around the time the problem started.  If it did then maybe a factory reset of the gateway might be in order.  And it's entirely possible that if the BGW did get a FW update, AT&T has broken the functionality that's necessary to resolve the name.  I would have guessed we should have seen this by now but maybe not since it's also a somewhat unique situation.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a firmware update recently to my BGW210-700 (there's nothing in the logs).  I went to a friend's house who also has AT&T Internet 1000 with the same router.  I checked his firmware version and he has the same as me (2.3.4).  He has a NAS from a different manufacturer (Western Digital) and his .local addresses resolve just fine, and his Mac sees and mounts the drive as normal.  I just tried on a Windows PC and can't connect to my NAS from my network either.  It sees the drive in Windows Explorer, but when I double click on it, I get a message that the network path can't be found.  SMB in enabled on my NAS.

If it wasn't for my friend's setup working perfectly, I would say everything points to the router not working correctly.  My NAS manufacturer just reached out via e-mail and asked a lot of questions, so maybe they can help.  In the meantime, I would appreciate any additional insight anyone might have.

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

Depending on which version of Windows you have, SMB may be disabled on that computer.  I've got an old Netgear ReadyNAS that used SMB1 and I had to specifically go enable that after MS killed it on a Win10 update.  That doesn't explain the Mac issue, though.

Two problems....one, you can talk to a NAS, but a different brand, so that's not necessarily a valid point to base a conclusion on.  And two, just looking through the myriad problems with the BGW posted here, two "identical" gateways can and do perform completely differently.  So don't count out the BGW as being a prime suspect.

You didn't mention it but I'd definitely suggest a factory reset on the BGW if you haven't done one.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

@dcstewar76 I am trying to get a USB drive attached to Arris BGW210-700 to be recognized by my MacBook Pro for Time Machine backup, I don't mind mapping the server manually since I reboot so infrequently, but neither AFP://192.168.2.66 nor SBM works, Error message, "There was a problem connecting to the server 192.168.2.66. Please contact your system administrator for more info.". Any idea why? 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

Silly you for thinking that AT&T would make a USB port on their gateway support, well, USB devices.  As with most of the other poor choices they made with this gateway, they decided that the USB port would be a great way to charge a USB device.  That's it, that's all it can do.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

Seriously? That's just ridiculous, did you see this documented somewhere, it isn't in the guide and the device is showing up in gateway/router UI. I suppose a RAID NAS array is a proper networked device and not via USB. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

There are threads online that talk about this, some in this forum in fact.  Documentation?  Shocker, but AT&T hasn't provided documentation for the gateway.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

I am very new to the forum so I haven't seen those threads but is there proof though or just people guessing? I found an old 2016 guide but it didn't say anything about the USB ports just being used for charging. 

ACE - Guru

• 

9.9K Messages

5 years ago

Go here 

What would you accept as proof, seeing as there is no documentation and no way to get to whoever at AT&T actually knows.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

5 years ago

This is an old version of the guide but didn't specify the usage of the USB ports https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1319283/Arris-Bgw210-700.html 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.