For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
rgiskard's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Wednesday, May 27th, 2020 12:58 PM

latency/high ping ms concerns

Hello -

I am somewhat concerned my line has increased latency on it, but not entirely sure why. When I first signed up for fiber, I was getting 1ms ping times and consistently 350Mbps hardwired direct to the ATT router (Cat 6 Ethernet with Win10 laptop). However, recently I had noticed internet activity slow to initiate, but then quick as normal. This got me looking at my pings and latency, and after a lot of testing I found that my ping times had increased to consistently around 11ms, and the average latency in the Speedtest on the ATT router Diagnostics itself is consistently around 30ms. This is tested with the best machine we have, Core i7 laptop with Win10, cat6 ethernet to the ATT modem with the Brave browser.

So I chatted up ATT and the rep said this was due to the old NVG599 modem I had and the software it ran, so they shipped me a newer BGW210. Well it arrived yesterday, got it hooked up, and pings and latency in the speedtests are the same. Things do seem a bit snappier across the board I have noticed, but I'm just curious why the latency and pings have dropped off from the 1ms times I was seeing when I first signed up.

Bandwidth has always been a solid 350Mbps up/down, no issue there.

Have others experienced the same, any ideas of what I should be looking at, or even concerned about this?

Thanks!

EDIT: tagging @ATTChrisZ as I see you had been working on a similar issue with some customers in FL. I am in Charlotte, NC. Appreciate any assistance.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

4 years ago

Hey, I am having the same issue. Used to get sub 1ms pings, but now I get 10+ms pings. Throughput remains the same. Also in Charlotte, NC.

Seems like an issue with the overall design of the network, AT&T probably is using a passive network rather than an active one, and as more neighbors subscribe, the bandwidth is split, possibly leading to service degradation. We were early adopters of the fiber network, which is probably why the ping in the early speed tests were low, and now they are much higher. 

It is a shame, this is a problem that cannot be fixed easily by AT&T, but it is what it is. Still great for throughput, but if you want the lower pings you used to get, you would probably have to pay $1000+ a month for a dedicated business fiber line.

EDIT: After some digging it looks like AT&T will start to implement 10G symmetrical connections in fiber, although it will still be passive:

https://www.telecompetitor.com/att-fiber-begins-transition-to-next-generation-xgs-pon-ftth/

However, this may not fix the latency issue, or it could be completely unrelated. Also Google fiber is starting to offer 2Gbps, which could drive up AT&T speeds as well.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.