Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
maf5's profile

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 17th, 2024 10:53 PM

fiber wired connection can't connect intermittently

TVs and gaming systems that are connect by a wire sometime gets a message that it can't connect. Wifi works.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

27 days ago

The BGW320 has issues with the Ethernet LAN ports.  The worst one is the 5 Gbps (blue) port, but the yellows are known to have some issues even on "good" cables.  Some have seen improvements by changing to higher spec cables or inserting a Gigabit Ethernet Switch between the Gateway and the Ethernet-connected devices.

Ironic that Ethernet is less stable than Wi-Fi.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

26 days ago

Can you confirm the firmware version in the gateway?  That’s just it about firmware, it can make a perfectly working gateway do strange and inconvenient things.  
One simple thing you can do yourself is to factory reset the gateway.  This can clean things up that have built up over time.  At some point if dealing with Att directly they’ll likely try to send you a refurbished replacement, but generally doing a factory reset accomplishes the same result. 
About the cables, I’ve also seen anecdotal evidence of greater sensitivity in the 320s, but no technical explanation has ever been brought forward to explain what requirements the 320 has in this area to make one particular cable work in lieu of others.  Perhaps adding an inline switch to isolate your home network wiring from the gateway itself might help.  

ACE - Expert

• 

35.4K Messages

27 days ago

Let me guess... your Gateway is a BGW 320?

4 Messages

27 days ago

You guessed right!

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

27 days ago

More than a little, but wait for part deux when wifi issues start cropping up.  

4 Messages

26 days ago

I've had this modem for a few years and this just started. Maybe the cables are getting old. Thanks for the info.

4 Messages

23 days ago

Thanks for the response. We replaced 1 very old cable last night. If that does not resolve the issue, I check the firmware.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.