For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
JuleusLouis's profile

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, April 17th, 2024 6:47 PM

Does AT&T have a modem/Router with Fiber output instead of ethernet cables?

We have fiber internet and the default router that AT&T provides only has an ethernet cable for output connections. I just recently configured a pfsense micro PC with an 2x SFP+ connections.  I want to do a passthrough connection from the AT&T modem to my pfSense micro PC using fiber.  The reason for this is that we have a 2 story house and the network conduit that runs from the ATT modem/router (located at the first floor) to the second floor where all the network gears are located runs close to a high-power electrical circuit which will cause some electromagnetic interference. Is there such a unit that I can avail?

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.2K Messages

13 days ago

No.  The AT&T Gateways only use Ethernet.  You could use bridge / media converter to switch to Fiber and then take it back to Ethernet on the other end.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

32.1K Messages

13 days ago

AT&T's Gateway is Ethernet output only. You have to use theirs. As @JefferMC mentions, you would need your own personal solution (even your own router leaving the Gateway to do just the modem part).

Comes down to AT&T will provider simple general equipment for the average user. Beyond that it is up to each of us to provide our own equipment if we want to do something custom/advanced beyond that.

• 

4 Messages

13 days ago

hi Jeff, so what I'm trying to do is connect the micro PC to the ATT gateway directly via fiber and not ethernet. you must be referring to converting the Gateway ethernet output to Fiber using a converter and connecting it to the fiber port of the micro PC. I did have a look into these, and almost all consumer products (non-enterprise units) are very unreliable, this will add another layer of issues since most converters are vulnerable to over-heating and more packet loss

• 

4 Messages

13 days ago

Ok thanks. I guess we are at the mercy of whatever hardware AT&T gives us to communicate to the Matrix.

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

13 days ago

I doubt you'll get electrical interference. I've seen many phone and Ethernet cables ran side by side with electrical and no problems. The tight pair twist are meant to help eliminate that, the old, untwisted pair did have the problem. 

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

13 days ago

Have you considered running fiber to the 2nd floor and relocating the gateway to the equipment gear area?

Or consider a different ISP that better suits your needs/desires.

There are a few markets that have (2) fiber providers if your lucking enough to live in one of markets, most often Google Fiber but some zip codes may have a local fiber provider.

https://broadbandnow.com

Expert

• 

19.4K Messages

13 days ago

In checking NEC codes the only thing I see is the separation between electric lines to outlets and lights is two inches. Memory, which not even I trust anymore, says 12 inches in conduit from the feed to the power panel. Seems like it was over a set length that it paralleled it also, but again from memory. 

• 

4 Messages

12 days ago

Gateway was installed on the first floor since this was the most convenient place (considering point of entry, cabinet and power).  
Its unfortunate Google fiber never made it to our area and hence ATT is still the best solution (yes we do have Comcast and since they capped the data usage it's not an option for me and I've seen speed fluctuations at different times when I was with them).

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.