Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
K

• 

1 Message

Sunday, January 3rd, 2021 4:33 PM

Closed

Can I use my own equipment?

Hi,

when signing up for att internet, do I need to rent the router from att as well? I would like to buy/use my own equipment, and pay a lower monthly fee. thansk

klaas

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

22.4K Messages

3 years ago

You may place your own equipment behind the provided ATT gateway... the gateway and monthly fee are part of the service you agree to per the Terms Of Service (TOS) agreement.

If you do not agree with the TOS, you should quit using the service and call to cancel. May be subject to Early Termination Fee of $15 per month remaining on 12 month agreement. 

Are responsible for any installation charges, common are $35 for self install fee where tech only does outside work or $99 full tech installation with tech performing both outside and inside work. 

edit... from the fine print details of internet offer....

Internet plans (768k to 75M)

Geographic and service restrictions apply to AT&T Internet services. Not all speeds available in all areas. Call or go to att.com/internet to see if you qualify.

INTERNET OFFER: Price for Internet plans (768k to 75M) for new residential customers. Pricing for first 12 months only.  After 12 mos., then prevailing rate applies (currently, $55/mo) unless canceled by customer prior to end of 12 months. Additional Fees & Taxes: AT&T one-time transactional fees, $10/mo. equipment fee, and monthly cost recovery surcharges which are not government-required may apply, as well as taxes. See www.att.com/fees for details.  Installation: $99 installation for full tech install. Credit restrictions apply.  Pricing subject to change. Subj. to Internet Terms of Service at att.com/internet-terms.

†Data Allowance: $10 charge applies for each additional 50GB (up to $100/mo).  Unlimited data allowance may also be purchased separately for an add’l $30/mo., or maintain a bundle of TV & Internet on a combined bill and receive unlimited internet data at no add’l charge. For more info, go to www.att.com/internet-usage.

††Internet speed claims represent maximum network service capability speeds and based on wired connection to gateway. Actual customer speeds are not guaranteed and may vary based on several factors. For more information, go to www.att.com/speed101.

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

AT&T Internet requires the use of AT&T equipment that is leased at $10 a month.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Broadband and TV providers are now required to stop charging "rental" fees for equipment that customers own themselves under  the Television Viewer Protection Act (TVPA) that took effect December 20, 2020. If you buy your own modem and router, then AT&T is prohibited by law from charging you a fee for your own equipment. As long as you return AT&T's gateway, they cannot penalize or charge you.

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

AT&T equipment cannot be purchased.  

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

AT&T equipment can be purchased from resellers and other third parties. Additionally, there are other modems that are compatible with AT&T's fiber network. A far superior BRAND NEW modem will cost the same as a year's worth of "rental" fees. I just called AT&T this afternoon and confirmed that my modem is compatible with their network. They are sending me a box to return the gateway. 

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

Any AT&T modems for sale are stolen property since AT&T compatible equipment is not sold.

Out of curiosity, what modem did you purchase that works with fiber?

FYI:  AT&T equipment is returned via UPS/FedEx

(edited)

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

Any modem that you've done a certificate extraction on paired with a router capable of running wpa_supplucant (pfsense, openwrt, Linux, asuswrt-Merlin, etc.) can do the job of the AT&T Gateway. 

See: https://github.com/bypassrg/att

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

@my thoughts   Your thoughts, please.

• 

7 Messages

3 years ago

From the Internet Terms of Service, Schedule 2 - IP Broadband Internet Service: "AT&T is the owner of the Wi-Fi Gateway (WG). Upon termination of your Service for any reason, AT&T shall remain the owner of the WG, and you must return the WG, undamaged, within 21 calendar days to AT&T. If the WG is not returned within 21 calendar days, or is returned damaged, you will be charged for the replacement value of the WG."

Upon charging the replacement value, the customer is now the owner of the WG and it no longer belongs to AT&T. 

Sorry Skeeter, I can appreciate your blind loyalty to AT&T, but facts are facts. In my area AT&T is the ONLY option, there are no competitors. Forcing me to pay $10 a month for as long as I own my home for terrible equipment is unfair and reprehensible. AT&T has received nearly $500 from me in rental fees for a gateway that was refurbished when I first obtained service almost 4 years ago.  Explain how a $30 used modem is worth $500+? Is it fair to force me or any other customer to continue paying $10 a month, when there are no other ISP options in the area?

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.internetAttTermsOfService.html

ACE - Expert

• 

27.9K Messages

3 years ago

And for future reference, what modem did you buy that works with AT&T fiber?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.