For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
braddefoe's profile

3 Messages

Sunday, March 31st, 2024 10:45 PM

2nd wifi router

I will be getting ATT fiber install soon. the main router/gateway will be in basement.  I have 2 hard wired devices in basement. i have run conduit and will put  CAT6 to upstairs location for gaming pc and gaming laptop and would like to put the 2nd wifi device up there. is this possible with Fiber???.  Is there enough outputs on fiber modem to do this?   I have had wifi issued from basement to upstairs... when i put second wifi in house all tv's and other devices had good coverage.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.8K Messages

1 month ago

Yes. Set up the second router as an access point. 4 Ethernet ports on the gateway. If you need more ports, just get an unmanaged switch. 

Accepted Solution

ACE - Professor

• 

5.5K Messages

1 month ago

Att gateways have four Ethernet ports. You’re more than likely to get a BGW320 for a new installation.  

A personal WiFi system generally is setup on its own in terms of how you place satellites and whether or not you’re using wireless or wired backhaul.  For most I suggest getting a system that can operate in access point mode to more easily configure and manage your home network.   The WiFi in the gateway is not suitable for anything other than casual use.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.