For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
tinway's profile

3 Messages

Friday, March 22nd, 2024 6:37 PM

Wrong balance on my account

Hello, I started my internet service from this Jan. 15. When I was applying for the service, the agent asked me to make a payment of $100 and said it will be used to pay my future bills. At the moment, I can see there was $100 on my balance from the app. My bill is $60.24 per month which is less than the number on my balance, so I thought it would be paid directly from it and didn’t do anything when receiving my first bill. On Feb. 20, I received my second bill and it said my bill total is $120.48, so I opened the app and tried to find out what happened. I found that the money on my balance became $0 and I didn’t pay my first bill, so AT&T tried to charge me $120.48 for 2 months. I tried to reach to the customer support team and they said it’s not related to them… I have stopped the service and returned the equipment and I want to get my $100 back. Is there anyone encountering this problem? Thank you.

This screenshot shows that I made 2 payments. The total money I paid is $100 + $120.48 = $220.48.

This screenshot shows that the bills I have. Note that the second bill includes the past due of the first month, so the total money I have to pay is $120.48 because I have stopped my internet service.

This screenshot shows that the balance on my account is $0.00.

The final screenshot shows that I made a ticket to reach out to the support team but they said it’s not related to AT&T payment.

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

1 month ago

If you have poor or no credit when establishing service, internet only would require a $100 credit management fee. This is not a credit against your first bill but a RISK FEE. 

This is covered in the ATT Internet Terms Of Service agreement you agreed to in establishing the service. 

There may also be a separate installation charge of $99 which would either be on first bill as full charge or divided into three payments of $33 for first three bills.

Also failing to pay the first bill by due date can result on a late fee ($9?).

(edited)

3 Messages

1 month ago

Thank you for your reply, but I don’t think I have a bad credit. If it was a credit management fee or risk fee, it shouldn’t be shown on the balance of the app from the first beginning and it shouldn’t be recognized as a payment either.

There is no other charge of $99 or $33 in my first bill.

I know there may have a late fee, and I paid the bill before the due date. So, there is no late fee in my second bill. You can see that my first and second bill are both $60.24.

I am wondering if there is any other problem why the payment on Nov. 3 doesn’t be counted in my balance? Thank you for your reply again. :)

(edited)

Former Employee

• 

22.3K Messages

1 month ago

The only time ATT requires payment for home internet before installation is the credit management fee…

https://www.att.com/legal/terms.HSIAAttTermsofService.html

6. Payment

You agree to pay in full each month: (1) the monthly fee specified when you ordered your Service; (2) any charge(s) for equipment required for your Service; (3) activation fees, connection and/or installation charges, if any; (4) late fees, Service Restoral Fees, and other applicable Service charges; and (4) any applicable taxes, recovery fees and surcharges that AT&T pays to municipalities and other governmental entities and may pass on to you. For a list of additional fees that could apply to the Service, please see the applicable Fee Schedules, which are expressly incorporated herein by reference.

a. Credit Check / Advance Payments & Deposits.

By applying to purchase Internet Services, and by continuing to access the Internet Services, you are granting us permission to obtain your credit information from consumer credit reporting agencies at any time. If we determine that you may be a credit risk due to: (1) unsatisfactory credit rating; (2) insufficient credit history; (3) fraudulent or abusive use of any AT&T services within the last five years; or (4) late payments for current or prior bills, we may refuse to provide the Services or we may require an advance payment, a non-refundable payment, and/or deposit. Interest will not be paid on advance payments or deposits unless required by law. We may require special payment terms such as additional advance payments or deposits if we determine that the initial payment was inadequate. We may establish limits and restrict your Service or features as we deem appropriate. If your account balance goes beyond the limit we set for you, we may immediately interrupt or suspend your Service until your balance is brought below the limit. Any charges you incur in excess of your limit become immediately due. Upon determination solely by AT&T of satisfactory payment history or as required by law, AT&T may begin refunding of deposits through bill credits, cash payments, or as otherwise determined solely by AT&T. If you are delinquent in any payment to us, you also authorize us to report any late payment or nonpayment to credit reporting agencies.

3 Messages

1 month ago

Hi, Thank you for your effort on doing so many survey for me. :) I just found where my $100 is. My service started on Jan. 15 and I received a Refunds Prepaid Card at the beginning of January. In the mail, it says this card is for “refund of credit on final bill”, so I didn’t activate this card. That’s also the reason why I didn’t check the balance on this card. However, it transferred my $100 to this inactivated card on Jan. 10 without any notification or explanation. For those who have been asked to pay the $100 that would be applied to your bills of first few months, the money would be transferred to your refund card, remember to request a bank transfer. It will not be applied to your bill automatically. You still have to get the money back and pay the bill by yourself, or making an auto-pay through the refund card.

(edited)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.