For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Get superfast AT&T Fiber internet
WestTexasToe's profile

8 Messages

Thursday, April 25th, 2024 7:09 PM

Static IP block with each IP from a different USA location?

The answer is probably "no" ... but -

I have a block of 13 static IPs and all of them trace back to the datacenter in my city. I have everything configured and it's working great.

Now I was thinking.

Would it be possible to distribute my block of static IPs across the USA in an effort to reduce "ping" for users connecting to me from various locations? In other words, rather than having all 13 of my static IPs clustered together in my city, I was wondering if ATT could distribute them across the USA to where each IP appears to originate from a different city in an effort to be "closer" to those connecting to my network.

Users would simply connect to the IP address closest to them that appears to have to lowest ping. I would be controlling all the IPs from here at home. It would be awesome if this could happen, but it sounds too good to be true, therefore ...

Thanks.

ACE - Expert

• 

35.3K Messages

10 days ago

Assuming that, since you're posting in the consumer Fiber forum, you are a consumer fiber customer, or at best a small business...

1) No, your block has to route to your single Public Dynamic IP address assigned to your gateway.

2) Not sure at all what you mean by "all of them trace back to the datacenter in my city."

3) As long as the requests to those IP requests need to be serviced by a server in your datacenter, the traffic has to come from the remote location to your datacenter.  

4) There are hosting providers who can distribute your service to multiple edge locations across the country/world such that there is a local server that can respond with low latency.  Some of them do it by playing games with the IP address.  Some of them do it by playing games with the DNS.  All of them do it by placing a copy of the content/application physically closer to the user so that the request doesn't have to travel far to get resolved.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.