For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
Izbear's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, May 17th, 2019 12:33 AM

retaining sbcglobal.net email address

If I drop my AT&T DSL can I still retain my sbcglobal.net email address ?

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

This used to be easy to answer, i.e., yes, the Terms of Service (section 5. Termination or Cancellation of Service) explicitly stated you get to keep your primary and subaccounts.  But they were updated Jan 19, 2019 and it no longer states anything about what happens to those accounts.  So at the moment all I can say is I wouldn't count on it!   If I (ever) get clarification on this I'll update this thread.

If someone else reading this thread finds the info moved elsewhere please post where.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

5 years ago

I have copied the following  response from emailaccountsonline.org.    The author  recommends unmerging  the sbcglobal.net email account from AT&T by logging into yahoo.com with user id and password. 

Is this procedure still valid?

you are wondering how to keep your sbcglobal primary email after canceling AT&T DSL service, that’s actually possible. All you will need to do is to unmerge the email account from AT&T, but this should be done before canceling the service. Once you unmerge you can be able to use your email with the sbcglobal.net domain using the yahoo mail att.net login page. The login page is found at this url https://login.yahoo.com where you can enter your sbcglobal.net’s username or user id and password in the fields provided for each respectively.

After the process of unmerging your att.net email from the service, you remain with a free email account for sbcglobal.net domain, with yahoo hosting it. You will be able to use that to continue receiving all your emails and performing other email tasks as usual. The process of unmerging detaches your sbcglobal.net login credentials from AT&T’s system, so that you do not have to lose access upon canceling the DSL service.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

Is this procedure still valid?

I wouldn't think so since att and yahoo have attempted to unmerge all the legacy accounts from yahoo whether users wanted it or not.  That's what's causing some many "I can't log in" threads and the announcement at the top right of this page.

I've been told that although the terms of service no longer say it the accounts can still be used after you are no longer an att customer.  My recommendations are you make sure you keep a record of your 4-digit account pin, account number, your security questions, and make sure the recovery email address is pointing at a valid email address (preferably not an att address). These things make it less of a hassle in the future if you have to contact att support if there are email problems, for example if problems arise like having trouble changing your password.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.