For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Protect yourself online
lasersaver's profile

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Tuesday, March 31st, 2020 6:42 PM

Cancel DSL Line- lose access to email?

I've talked to ATT reps on the phone and recieved two different answers. I've read different viewpoints. We've had a DSL line for years and have used our @sbcglobal.net emails for years. We no longer need that DSL Line and would like to cancel.

Question: If we cancel that DSL line, can we continue to use and access our sbcglobal.net email accounts as we do now through email clients such as Thunderbird, Mac Mail etc?

I've talked to ATT reps on the phone and received two different answers. I've read answers from searches and there does not seems to be a consensus.

The contradicting answers I've seen:

1) Yes- you can access your emails as you do now.

2) Yes- sort of. You can keep your emails but can only access them through the web interface at att.com. Mail client will no longer be able to access them.

3) No- you will lose all access to your emails.

Anyone know the correct answer?

Thanks in advance.

• 

1 Message

4 years ago

Hi,

I'm trying to do the same thing. Attached below is what I got from a Google search. Best of luck

OK, maybe this will help.

After you cancel services (with accont in good standing) with AT&T you are allowed to keep you email address indefinitely, but after 60 days you will have no support for that sbcglobal address from AT&T or Yahoo, so you're on your own if you have problems.

If you go to att.yahoo.com and log in with your UserID@sbcglobal and try to change the password, there will be "security questions" you will have to answer. You will want to make sure you have the answers memorized or written down for future reference.

Now, before you cancel AT&T, you will want to go to https://edit.yahoo.com/registration?.src=fpctx&.intl=us&.done=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yahoo.com%2F and create a new Yahoo account. I believe you might be able to import your contacts and messages from your sbcglobal account.

Now go back to your sbcglobal account and set it to forward everything to your new Yahoo account.

That should keep you covered, but no guarantees.

What To Know

If you cancel your AT&T Internet account, you will still have access to your account as long as your account is in good standing. If there is a balance owed on the AT&T internet account, you will lose access to the email until it is resolved. To verify your canceled AT&T Internet account is in good standing, chat with us. If you break terms and conditions, the email will be deactivated.

Helpful Tips!

• Security Questions - when you cancel your services, you no longer have the ability to reset your email at att.com. It is highly recommended you set up security questions before you cancel - it makes it easier to reset passwords if you forget it!

• Merged Email Addresses - If your Yahoo email is tied to your att.net email, you do have the option to unmerge it. The att.net email is deleted when you unmerge the account. You must process the request within 30 days of cancellation.

• Tie your email to your mobile account - this will help with password resets in the future

To Unmerge the account, follow the steps below.

1. Go to myAT&T, and log in with your AT&T Member ID and password.

2. Select Profile > Update My Profile.

3. Under AT&T Email Accounts, select Account Profile.

4. Next to Member ID, select Delete Account.

5. Select OK to confirm.

6. Confirm that the Status at the bottom of the User Information section now reads Disabled. Your email account has been deleted.

7. To continue using your Yahoo email, sign in to Yahoo mail. Select the Unmerge button in the bottom right corner of the page.

-ATTU-verseCare

If you are wondering how to keep your sbcglobal primary email after canceling AT&T DSL service, that’s actually possible. All you will need to do is to unmerge the email account from AT&T, but this should be done before canceling the service. Once you unmerge you can be able to use your email with the sbcglobal.net domain using the yahoo mail att.net login page. The login page is found at this url https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.partner=sbc, where you can enter your sbcglobal.net’s username or user id and password in the fields provided for each respectively.

After the process of unmerging your att.net email from the service, you remain with a free email account for sbcglobal.net domain, with yahoo hosting it. You will be able to use that to continue receiving all your emails and performing other email tasks as usual. The process of unmerging detaches your sbcglobal.net login credentials from AT&T’s system, so that you do not have to lose access upon canceling the DSL service.

If you do not unmerge your email account from AT&T, you are forced to continue making monthly payments in order to keep your email. That for most people is an issue given the fact that all the emails are being received via yahoo mail, an email service similar to Google’s Gmail and Microsoft’s Outlook that many users access for free. If you cancel and are not paying for the DSL service anymore, you probably wouldn’t want to be left with only an email service to pay for. If you are like many people who have for many years used the sbcglobal.net email, you would definitely want to continue using that for free since it’s accessed through yahoo mail login anyway.

Although many people ask how they can get back their old sbcglobal.net email after canceling AT&T DSL, it is very important to note that you shouldn’t cancel the service before unmerging it from the email. If you do that what happens is that when you attempt to login will be denied access. The error message will notify you that you can’t access your AT&T yahoo account, and the reason given is the suspension of your AT&T yahoo internet services. You will then be advised to create a new yahoo email where you can transfer all your information including personal email messages, contacts, photos and settings. That process can as well result to other issues, but in any case you may not want to abandon your sbcglobal.net email that you have used for years only to get a new yahoo email. So simply unmerge your old email from the DSL service and keep that ancient email domain.

SBCglobal email or Southwester Bell Company Global is a free webmail service which is provided to SBC or AT&T users. Your SBCglobal email address format is like this [email scrubbed]. Your account is accessible through the att.yahoo.com web portal.

But many people around the internet wants to know that if they can keep their sbcglobal.net email address even after cancelling DSL service.

What will happen to your SBCglobal email?

You are allowed to keep your sbcglobal email for as long as you want. However after 60 days of cancellation your DSL service, you will no longer have support that you might need for your SBCglobal email address from AT&T and Yahoo!. What that means is , you are on your own after 60 days. If you want to change the password, you will be asked to answer the security questions that you set during sign up. So make sure you remember them. Save it somewhere in your notebook or computer just in case.

Another thing that you can do is sign up for a new Yahoo account which is free and easy. Then presumably you will be able to import all your contacts and messages from you sbcglobal email account.

Things to Remember

1. If you discontinue your account with no dues left, emails will no longer be managed by AT&T after 60 days (security set up or password reset). You will be able to access your mails forever.

2. Make sure you set up all security measures on account to be able to reset password by yourself.

3. Make sure you have an Off-line Security question set up on your current active DSL account. So that even if you choose to disable ATT, you can reset your password whenever you want as long as you know your Off-line security answer.

4. If you forget your password and if you do not have your DSL account anymore and did not set up security questions. Then you will not be able to get your password.

Helpful link : SBCglobal.net email login

(edited)

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Thank you. I had read that also. There was still some confusion on whether I could use an email client (outlook, thunderbird, mac mail etc) to access those, now, unmerged accounts. Or if the only option was through the web interface.

This is important in my situation since we have multiple people who use these accounts.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Replying to myself:

Just got off the phone with ATT to fix my email problem (see update in other post).

I asked her about the issue in this post. She said that there is no problem canceling DSL line and keeping email- including normal access from mail clients. They simply become "free accounts".

She cautioned that you should make sure to have EVERY detail written down - passwords, usernames, contact info etc- because a "free account" has less support than a paid account.

I asked her about the "unmerge" process and she said she'd never heard of that before.

Still not quite comfortable enough to cancel that line since we rely on these emails for business.

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

I had the same concern when I canceled DSL. The email address (and subaccounts) that I've had for years have kept working (and I was told they would). They continue to work with the smart phones, web mail and Outlook. You'll be OK.

Teacher

• 

24 Messages

Excellent information. Thanks.

Did you need to go through any "unmerge" steps?

Teacher

• 

36 Messages

Not that I'm aware of.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.