For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?

AT&T related help:

Ameliagirl's profile

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, June 14th, 2023 10:26 PM

What is a 3G Microcell

I live in the country and service is horrible.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

11 months ago

They don’t work anymore 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

11 months ago

The 3G was a mini tower and required wired home internet and a postpaid plan to register the device in order to carry voice calls over the 3G network.  The 3G network shut down in February of 2022.

If you are seeing a 3G MicroCell anywhere for sale or even for free it will no longer work.

AT&T sells a new "cellular booster"  which is a misnomer for its LTE MicroCell. Just like the previous MicroCell it requires wired home internet, and postpaid service to connect the mini tower to the AT&T network.

If you do not have wired home internet, what you might need is an actual cell booster which just needs electricity to function. If that's what you want try the weboost website.

And before you go to the expense of purchasing either, if you do have home internet turn on Wi-Fi calling. Wi-Fi calling is going to use your home internet just like a Microsoft.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

11 months ago

@Ameliagirl  AT&T's 3G MicroCell was a femtocell (not a cellular booster) that broadcast a 3G signal in your home and then used your internet connection to reach the AT&T Mobility Servers. Once AT&T phased out their 3G service, the MicroCell's were history.

As a replacement, AT&T introduced their AT&T Cell Booster, which is a femtocell as well insptre of its name. It is LTE only being as there is no 3G network on AT&T anymore. Both require a land-based, wired internet connection (DSL, cable, or fiber) and a post-paid AT&T cellular account. Satellite and wireless broadband are not supported even tho the Cell Booster has been reported to work with StarLink.

I have an AT&T Cell Booster Technical Guide that you can read. The link is in my sig line. Post back if you have any more questions.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.