For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Family555's profile

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, March 27th, 2022 9:42 PM

Replacement of Microcell Tower

I received a letter from ATT approximately 2 months ago stating that I needed to contact them in regards to replacing our microcell tower as our area was being upgraded to 5G and our microcell would no longer be effective.  Our signal strength in our home is very poor and inadequate.  I called the provided number, was transferred numerous times and eventually (after 45 minutes) told that a new microcell was already ordered and the call was unnecessary.  I have yet to receive the tower.  I called ATT again today, was transferred numerous times, including to Asurion.  One representative told me that he was unable to see any pending order for our microcell.  The Asurion representative was unable to access my account.  I provided my information to her numerous times with no luck.  I informed her that maybe she couldn't hear me because the music was so loud in the background.  (It was.)  She provided me with a "direct line" to who I needed to talk to 800-335-4685.....ATT International Care...really?  My family has been ATT customers for over 25 years at this address.  I have never been more disgusted / disappointed in how ATT is handling this service.  Any reply be ATT other than, "We are sorry, the microcell replacement is being expedited to your address" will be inadequate.  

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

At&t can't send what they don't have.  They sent out all they had, and have not received more to fulfill requests. 

Use wifi calling until backorder can be filled. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Family555  Asurion has nothing to do with the Cell Booster (MicroCell replacement) as it is for insuring phones. You were directed to them by accident.

Did you receive a letter stating that a Cell Booster was automatically being shipped to you or did you receive a letter/email with a weblink or phone number to call and order a Cell Booster. The folks who received the first letter/email were shipped one automatically with nothing more for them to do. The second notification was intended for the folks that were missed with the first notification and were asked to order one from AT&T if they still needed it. Unfortunately the weblink didn't work well nor did calling in because there was a huge disconnect within AT&T. If you didn't receive a confirmation letter/email from AT&T then your order probably never went thru to the correct department. Unfortunately demand exceeded supply so the free Cell Booster program has been discontinued. AT&T is now in the process of building up their inventory in preparation for offering them for sale. Probably first online and then eventually at their stores (Corporate and Retailer) in a few weeks.

The MicroCell was 3G only. The Cell Booster, which is still a femtocell, is LTE only. 5G has nothing to do with it other than AT&T was shutting down their 3G network and it may have co-located on a tower that was being upgraded for 5G, so the 3G radios were probably being removed/replaced.

• 

2 Messages

2 years ago

We received the letter with the link.  As you mentioned it did not work properly, hence the lengthy call to ATT.  Eventually, I was told by an ATT representative that my booster was already ordered and nothing else was required from me.  Obviously, that was not the case.  

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Family555  If you never received a confirmation email then your order obviously never got sent to wherever it was supposed to go. And you weren't the only person. All you can do is wait until they go on sale, and try calling Support again and see if there is something they can do as long as you still have the email.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

2 years ago

Definitely not the case. Until At&t replenishes it's stock, there is no booster to give or sell.

Wifi calling is the preferred technology.  If your phones are capable, enable it in your phones settings

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

We have had this same issue. We even (on a telephone rep’s advice) drove an hour each way to our closest authorized retailer, who supposedly put a rush order on our account and was assured we would have ours in a week. That was a month ago. Yet if I want to pay $229, I can have one shipped in 2 days by purchasing it retail. Shameful. We are also long-time customers, but I have a feeling not for much longer.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Carolewwld  If you ordered from an Authorized Retailer and not a Corporate Store, and that could be why you haven't received your Cell Booster yet. Authorized Retail Stores and independently owned and operated separate from AT&T. They just sell AT&T goods and services, and they are not staffed by AT&T employees. The stores will look exactly the same on the inside so you need to ask if they are Corporate or Retail. Quite a few Retail Stores are a bit shady in their business practices. Retail Stores are similar to what you will find in Sam's Club, Target, Best Buy, Costco, kiosks, etc.

If your order was even sent to AT&T, you should be able to login in to your account and check on pending orders. If you can't find anything, and you still have your paperwork (order number) from the Retail Store, then call Support and ask about it. If AT&T doesn't have any record of your order, and you in fact did order from a Retail Store then you will have to take it up with the Retail Store that you purchased it from because they are one who sold it to you, not AT&T.

• 

4 Messages

2 years ago

Thanks for trying to help. We did go to a corporate store, the same one that AT&T sent us to. We got no paperwork, nor have we ever received a confirmation email, even though we used the online link before it broke. I spent an hour today on the phone with a supervisor. All she would say was that they didn’t know when they would get more in, and that if we had had a microcell on our account, we were in the queue. But she could not tell me where we were in the line, nor give me any confirmation number, nor confirm that we even had an order. The lack of transparency and communication on this issue is hugely disappointing. We were already unhappy with the lack of coverage when we travel around the country in our RV. This may be the last straw.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.2K Messages

2 years ago

@Carolewwld  So you did go to a Corporate Store and confirmed that it was a Corporate Store? All of the AT&T Stores in our ares, with the exception of two, are still listed as Corporate Stores on the AT&T website but if you ask inside, or call, they have been converted into a Retail Store. You should have received some sort of paperwork if you purchased the Cell Booster. Did you pay for it in the store or did they say the charge would just show up on your monthly statement?

Did AT&T even have a record of your order? That's what you need to find out. If they do, then you should get one once inventory is back up. If they can't even find that you ordered one from the "Store", then it could be a very long time before you receive it, if ever.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.