Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
What is happening with 3G?
reiner97's profile

Teacher

• 

19 Messages

Wednesday, July 23rd, 2014 1:56 AM

No MMS on Microcell

I have an AT&T Microcell.  The voice side is working perfectly but I can't get MMS at all or access the internet unless the wifi is connected.  I've called Customer Service multiple times but have not gotten a solution yet...Please help!!

This is happening on 2 devices connected to the Microcell...MMS works fine once back on AT&T network.

Samsung Galaxy S4 Active

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

10 years ago

Excellent! If port forwarding to a static IP address for the MicroCell was setup properly (and I'm not saying you didn't set it up properly) and you didn't set it up for DMZ at the same time, we should probably look at your ISP. Does your friend also have CenturyLink?

Did we suggest that you run a VoIP test at various times of the day?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have an Iphone 6 and I have the same issue, I had the same issue with the LG G2, my wife has the same issue with the Samsung S5, my daughter has the same issue with the IPhone 4. Cannot receive MMS while connected to the MCell. My phone errupts with messages when I start driving down the road.

I also have Centry Link 10Mb DSL with the same hardware.I have spoken to ATT customer service a number of times now. Some agents tell me that MMS is data and data and is not transmitted through the MCell. Some tell me the MCell boosts voice and data. If it is data then why is it not coming through my wifi connection?

I'm not an IT wiz so the disucssions about DMZ and VoIP test are over my head.

Has there been any further resolution to this problem?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

10 years ago

Not all cellular carriers consider MMS, SMS, visual voice mail, and voice calls phone traffic, not data traffic. All of those, with the exception of voice, can be accessed via WiFi but primarily are considered phone traffic.

Do you leave WiFi on all of the time? That frees up the MicroCell for voice only and the rest is handled by your WiFi connection.The iPhone 6, when first introduced, has issues like you are describing but for the most part have been resolved with an update from Apple.

If it is a hardware/ISP issue with Centurylink then they will have to resolve it because there is nothing that AT&T can do. You may have 10Mbs DSL, but if the line isn't clean or your speeds fluctuate you can have issues. The fact that you a have various phones on the ISP with the same problems points to CenturyLink and/or their hardware.

A VoIP test checks your physical connection for things like jitter and latency, which are indicators of line quality. Your internet maybe fine but VoIP is a bit more stringent in its requirement for optimal use. What else do you have connceted to your router. Too many devices constantly online can afftect the MicroCell in that calls etc receive a lower priority.

The MicroCell, at best, has a throughput of usually no more than 3.0Mbps, which is more than enough for voice calls if the line is clean but if your connection is not robust and stable, other features may not work.

What I would do is take all other devices off of your network and test with just the MicroCell connected and see what happens. Try it with WiFi on and off. See my Tech Guide for links on VoIP and speed tests. If you have a separate router and modem, you can also try the alternate connection which is connecting the MicroCell directly to the modem which bypasses the router and rules out any router config issues.

Update: CenturyLink does not very favorable reviews on Broadband Reports, especially with advertised speeds vs actual speeds. They also offer a VoIP service with the 10Mbps package. You might want to check to see if that is enabled for you because that could cause interferent issues as well.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I had the exact same issue and finally got it worked out today through a workaround. My issue began when I upgraded my cable package which came with a new modem. No matter what ports were opened or what changes were made, data would not get through. We even went to aaris directly and that was no help either. My local cable company was diligent about getting this resolved for me and added a second stand alone cable modem (at no charge). This immediately fixed the issue.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

10 years ago

Thanks. It seems that the Arris modems have difficulty at times. I'm glad your ISP came thru for you. A lot don't.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

I have the same issue. I get regular texts but no mms and no visual voice mail.

This seemed to stop working for me about a week ago and it does not work on my friends(mulitple different Mcells) either. What I noticed is if you turn wifi off and get on att tower and then go back to the mcell while wifi is off then it wroks. the minute wifi is turned back on then it stops working. Weird or what?

Oh and it is not true that these services don't work on mcells.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

On December 22nd, 2014 I came home and I noticed that my Mcell was down then I noticed that my wifi was down so I checked my voip box and it was working. So I reset the voip, the Asus router and then the mcell. Everything worked again. Except mms and vvm? With my wifi off my LG G3 will display the 4G signal for about 2 seconds then off and then back on. Seems to go in and out? Like posted before, It does work when I come back from an AT&T signal with my wifi off? The minute I turn on my wifi it stops working and I can not get it back until I go ( about 5mile drive) get a wireless signal again. This never happened until the isp outage?

And yes data is On on my phone. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

9 years ago

Obviously something is wonky with your system. WiFi should have no effect on your phone as far as connectivity goes unless you have a lot of data that you are  transferring via 3G only. We recommend leaving WiFi on all of the time. That way there is no hit on your wireless data cap and the MicroCell is free for voice only. If you are having to toggle WiFi on/off to make a connection then that sounds more like router or service connection issues than the MicroCell.

Did your ISP have an outage at the same time you lost connection? It's hard to determine from your post.

Do you have a VoIP service other than the MicroCell? If could be that your Arris modem is configured specifically for that service which interferes with the MicroCell.

I guess we need a more detailed explanation of your service and setup.

ACE - Sage

• 

118.2K Messages

9 years ago

I gather that before the outage in December, these services did work?
The reset mayhave wiped the settings required to have MMS and VVM work.

Have you read through Otto's microcell info? It may have your solution. As may earlier posts in this thread.

".....NM Otto has your back....

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Before the outage everything worked just fine. This afternoon after writing the post I suddenly had 4g reception throught the microcell for about 10minutes. Then it was gone again so I drove to a spot where I can get an att tower, got reception and drove back. phone show the microcell with 4G. Not turning on my wifi as this will drop it again. Without it I cannot get mms or vvm.

Tomorrow I will reboot every device from the cable modem to the microcell.

This is how I have everything.

Cable modem(time warner)> voip modem(vonage)> Asus rt-n56u wireless router> at&t microcell.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.