Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
Hood's profile

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, April 9th, 2023 5:51 AM

Cell Booster

​So far this cell booster is the (Edited per community guidelines)! I’m getting 3 bars down the street over 200meters from my house. As I’m writing this review I’m walking though my house and I lose signal in my far East room in my house (master bathroom). The booster is in a closet of a room over my garage.

The set up was fairly easy. Once you have everything plugged in it takes a little while for the booster to go through each cycle and connect. But once that’s done, my phone was lit up.​

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

1 year ago

Unfortunately your review isn't going to count for much because you used wording that was automatically edited out by The Forum Bot.

So we have no idea whether this was positive or negative. FYI AT&T's new cell booster is not a cell booster it is a fem to cell, also called a MicroCell just like the previous 3G version.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 year ago

@Hood  Can you be a bit more specific and/or clear? I agree with @formerlyknownas , it's difficult to determine if this is a complaint or a praise. Please read my Cell Booster Tech Guide, the link is in my sig line for all that you need to know about the Cell Booster, which, as was posted is a femtocell, not a cellular booster.

Over your garage and in a closet is probably the worse place you could put your Cell Booster.  It should be placed centrally located, as high up as is reasonable, and connected directly to the router for the optimal in-home coverage. That's why you can't get good coverage in your home but you can 200m down the street, and my guess is that "down the street" is on the same side as your garage.

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

So far this cell booster is GREAT! I’m getting 3 bars down the street over 200meters from my house. As I’m writing this review I’m walking though my house and I lose signal in my far East room in my house (master bathroom). The booster is in a closet of a room over my garage because that's where my router is located. I have a command center in my home that allows me to control everything in my house and that command center is in that closet. My house is over 5k square feet, so that's why I'm losing signal in my master bathroom. 

Over all, so far my experience with this booster is positive, I'm going have my tech make a longer CAT 6 cable so we can move the booster to a more central location. 

The set up was fairly easy. Once you have everything plugged in it takes a little while for the booster to go through each cycle and connect. But once that’s done, my phone was lit up (full bars/4 bars).​

Concerns: One of my main concerns is DATA usage. My house sits in a cellar dead zone in my neighborhood, the dead zone extends approximately 600 meters from my house in all directions. Last night I walked about 200m from my house and still had a strong signal (3 bars) and the person I was talking to on the phone could me clear as a bell. So, anyone with AT&T service will be able to pick up my signal and if that person is using DATA they will be using my DATA. That concerns me!

I hope this helps those thinking of purchasing this device, so far so good, it's working for me!

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 year ago

@Hood  The "cons" of purchasing a Cell Booster is detailed in my Tech Guide, as in everything else concerning the Cell Booster.

Typically, the "unauthorized data usage" is more of a concern if one lives in an apartment and/or condo because of the proximity of multiple users. Fortunately the number of simultaneous users is limited (8) but there is nothing that can be done to prevent other AT&T users from accessing your Cell Booster. And if the maximum simultaneous users is reached, the Cell Booster will not allow any further connections until a "spot" is opened up.

When I was testing the Cell Booster for A&T I found that placing the Cell Booster upstairs and connecting it (via an ethernet cable) to a wired mesh WiFi satellite provided good coverage throughout our home (3500 sq.ft. on a 1/2 acre) but there were still reliability issues.

When you say you are connecting it directly to your modem I assume you mean the router or gateway and not a standalone modem?

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Being that I virtually had no cell service before I connected this booster I'm pleased at how it's working thus fare. Once I can move it to a more central location in my house I hope be completely satisfied. 

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.4K Messages

1 year ago

Yes, I would highly recommend that you move it to a more centrally located position in your house with access to a window initially and leave it setup in the open. You don't want it in an enclosed space because they do get warm and need plenty of ventilation. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.