For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
GoBecky's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Sunday, June 3rd, 2012 1:22 AM

Can't activate new MicroCell

I got a MicroCell on Wednesday and have thus far not been able to activate it. I've registered it and hooked it up, but on the activation page, it won't move past "Power Up." (Actually, it won't even complete that step; the page looks exactly the same after 3 days as it did when I first saw it.)

I'm using a Ubee cable modem (from Brighthouse) and an Asus RT-N56U router. Bandwidth is not an issue (I subscribe to a plan that offers "up to" 40Mbps/ds and 5/us; just to be sure, I used AT&T's speed test using a wireless connection on the opposite end of the house and got 27 & 1.6 -- so bandwidth is safely covered!). I've tried connecting the MicroCell to the router, the modem, and even between the modem & router, to no avail. The power, LAN, & GPS lights are strong, the device is about 8 feet from any other electronics, right by a window, etc. I've turned off the firewall, enabled all NAT passthrough, etc. I feel like I've tried everything, but it's simply not connecting to AT&T!

Am going to call support tomorrow or Monday. In the meantime, any tips?

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Read Otto's Technical Guide before posting again and when you do post, provide enough information so we can try to help.  For example:

Wiring configuration of modem, router and Microcell

Phones being used

Microcell light status for Power, Ethernet, GPS and 3G

Microcell location near a window?

Router configuration (static port, any port forwarding, other settings)

The more details you post, the better.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Hi, I have been trying for 3 weeks now to get a microcell working.  I am in Central NY state and am on the second microcell.  I have a Time Warner SBV5220 VOIP Cable Modem.  I have talked with AT&T support several time.  The first microcell got stuck in their back end system when we attempted to deactivate it and thats when they sent me the second one.  It seems I have tried everything.  I have a GPS antenna now attached to ensure that a GPS lock is not contributing.  I have had the microcell both through my router and direct to the modem and neither worked.  When through the router I made the microcell the DMZ so no ports were being blocked.  Anyway, I get the microcell powered back up, it gets a GPS lock, and an internet lock (green lights solid) and the 3G light blinks for a bit and when it goes solid green, within a few seconds all the lights go off except the top one which goes red solid.  Once that light goes solid red the tech support literature basically gives the option to power-cycle the unit again OR the unit is defective.  As I said this is the second one and I had the same experience with the first.  I have even called Time Warner and they assure me the modem unit I have does not block any ports at all. I have spent so much time on this its not funny.  HELP!

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

10 years ago

If the top light goes solid red, that's the Power light. I would check the adapter to see if it is too warm. That's subjective I know but it could be a bad adapter because the red light indicates that you aren't getting any power. Check the power cable and input. Does the outlet look ok and can you plug something else into without any issues. TWC did have some issues, mostly in the KY area a while ago but the power light going out has nothing to do with that.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Well i dont have another adapter abd yes the adapter gets pretty warm but not hot. The other thing is that when i dont have an internet connection, the lights stay green for unlimited time, except the ethernet light which will continue to flash quick. I would think if its the adapter , after the same amount of time the top light would go solid red. This stinks

Sent from my iPhone

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

With regards to your Ethernet light blinking, have you tried using another Ethernet cable to see if the cable you are using is defective?

I would also ask why you are using a Motorola VOIP modem?  The SBV5220 is specifically for VOIP with two telephone jacks, a battery backup and only has one Ethernet port.  Since it is not a router, you must use the alternative connection method.  The Mcell needs to be between your modem and your computer.

One Ethernet cable should go from back of the modem (Ethernet port) to the Mcell and plug into the top (black) Ethernet port.  Another Ethernet cable should plug into the bottom (yellow) Ethernet port of the Mcell and go the the Ethernet port on the back of your computer.

Please advise as to how your system was wired up. 

Do you have a separate router?  If so, then the Mcell connects to one of the Ethernet ports on the back of the router.  The Ethernet cable should be plugged into the yellow port on the back of the Mcell and the other end into one of the ports on the router.  Have you tried using another router port in case the port you are using on the router is bad?

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Wow! Used a compatible power adapter I had and that solved the problem.  I absolutely am shocked the power adapter was the culprit!     AT&T take note....a red solid light does not necessarily mean the whole unit is bad! Try a new adapter!  Thanks OTTO!

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

10 years ago

Excellent!

Make sure the AC adapter is properly sized.  Output should be 12 VDC and 1.25 A.

Rule of thumb for the AC adapter if you don't have a multimeter to test it:  It will feel warm to the touch but should not feel as warm as the Mcell.  If hotter, then test or replace the AC adapter.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

10 years ago

@galetj wrote:

Wow! Used a compatible power adapter I had and that solved the problem.  I absolutely am shocked the power adapter was the culprit!     AT&T take note....a red solid light does not necessarily mean the whole unit is bad! Try a new adapter!  Thanks OTTO!

That's great! As Avedis53 stated, make sure the power rating is correct because as you've seen, the MicroCell is really sensitive to power reqirements. The power requirement as well as the correct polarity is listed in the Guide. I'm not sure what AT&T's policy is on replacments but I don't think they ship a new power adapter with warranty replacements so I always check that first.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

Stuck in a nightmare activation loop where I cancelled my personal AT&T account through which the microcell was registered and now can't get my business account and the microcell to work. Also, TimeWarner shipped me an Arris Router/Modem at just about the time that these troubles started so it may be the Router, it may the account. Hours and hours of time spent with support. 
Here's what I have:

Pinging the M-cell on my network comes back with a blocked port:

Request timeout for icmp_seq 1

92 bytes from 192.168.0.106: Destination Port Unreachable

Vr HL TOS  Len   ID Flg  off TTL Pro  cks      Src      Dst

4  5  00 5400 2697   0 0000  40  01 d1ee 192.168.0.xxx  192.168.0.xxx

Router is Arris Model No.: DG1670A

Hardware Software Version
Bootcode Version 2.2.0.27
Hardware Version 5
Firmware Version 8.0.120

I turned on port forwarding for port 4500 TCP/UDP.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

9 years ago

There have been reported issus with the Arris modems and I'm not sure if it's a pre-configured issue or not. The minimum router requirements are:

DHCP enabled

Ports 123 UDP, 443 TCP, 500 UDP, and 4500 UDP must be open (Public and Private ports).

IPSec Pass-Through is enabled

Block Fragmented Packets is disabled

NAT duties handled by only one device if you have a separate router and modem (gateway)

If you're going to forward ports, you need to forward all 4 ports. One shouldn't have to port forward at all but as home networks become more complicated and ISP's lock down their networks more and more it's becoming difficult for a simple, dumb VoIP device to work relliably.

Did you de-register the MicrCell before you canceled your personal account? If not, the MicroCell may still be tied to the canceled account number. This happens all of the time when folks buy used MicroCell's and can't get them registered. Did you transfer your personal account cell phone number to the business account or do you have a new phone number altogether?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.