For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
What is happening with 3G?
Jhood1981's profile

4 Messages

Friday, December 1st, 2023 4:00 PM

ATT WiFI

I have the nighthawk  ATT wifi modem, I also live in the middle of nowhere, so I do expect service to be somewhat spotty. Do you know if a cell booster will helpt with the WIFI from the modem considering its from cell towers anyway?  Which one booster is best for this case? 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 months ago

@Jhood1981  WiFi has nothing to do with a cellular signal. Do you have wireless internet, 5G internet, a hotspot? 

If you are considering AT&T's Cell Booster, it is not a cellular booster but a femtocell. It uses your internet connection, which needs to be a land-based internet service (DSL, cable, or fiber) to connect to the AT&T Mobility Servers.

The other option is to purchase an actual cellular booster which will detect the incoming cellular signal and then "boost" it to usable signal strength.

Or, you can look into your options for better routers (mesh WiFi depending on the area you need to cover) which have more robust WiFi. 

Can you be a bit more specific on the type of service you have and setup?

4 Messages

5 months ago

This is my modem from ATT I am pretty sure it runs of their cell towers. If I sound ignorant about this stuff it's because I am. 

4 Messages

5 months ago

H

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 months ago

What is the model number of the modem? It looks like you have 4G cellular internet but I can't be sure.

4 Messages

5 months ago

Hope this is helpful

ACE - Expert

• 

24.3K Messages

5 months ago

Ok. That's a WiFi/5G mobile hotspot router. You might be able to connect a WiFi extender to the ethernet port on the back and that might help. I'd give Netgear a call being as it's their device and they might have an idea. The AT&T Cell Booster,  which is a femtocell, won't work because it requires land-based internet service (DSL, cable, fiber) which you don't have. A cellular booster probably won't help either because it uses its own antenna system on your rooftop and inside your house for cellular only. No WiFi.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.