Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
What is happening with 3G?
Dcookie's profile

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

Sunday, September 1st, 2013 4:33 AM

ATT Microcell on homescreen??

Hi Otto Pylot! 🙂 Thought you'd maybe know the answer to this....something that I never saw before on my phone. I was out range of an ATT signal today..a no service area, and noticed at one point, on my home screen, it said ATT Micro Cell. I thought that was odd and wondered why it would have said that? Could someone have a Microcell in their home and as I was passing by in the car, somehow have picked that up???

Just wondering.. 

Thanks! 🙂

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

11 years ago

That is most strange indeed. The only way you are supposed to be able to connect to a MicroCell is if one, you are the primary account holder and two, if the primary account holder has put your AT&T phone on their guest list. I've never heard of someone who hasn't been authorized to use a MicroCell pick up the signal.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

I guess it'll remain a mystery. I thought it was strange, too. I've never seen that pop up on my phone before and thought I'd ask.

Thanks! 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

11 years ago

Have you ever received any mis-directed calls? Maybe your phone number is one digit off of someone else's and it was incorrectly added to a Guest list.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

A few times but they were usually just wrong numbers after I would ask what number the person was calling.

If I didn't just happen to look at my screen at that time to see if I had service, I would have never saw that pop up on my phone.

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

I'm not familiar with the Nexus S but an iPhone will retain the last indications of celltower signal strength, the indication of LTE, 4G, 3G, E or AT&T M-Cell and the Wi-Fi signal strength when it goes to sleep.  When the iPhone is first awakened, it will show those indications for a second or two before updating to what it is currently seeing.

I didn't gather from the post if Dcookie was seeing a momentary indication of the Mcell or it was being constantly displayed.

If it was continuously being displayed, that beats the heck out of me. 

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

It was just a momentary thing and like I stated, if I didn't look at my phone at that exact time, I wouldn't have ever knew it was there. I do know that we were traveling in a no service area at the time.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

This may sound stupid but I'll ask... Do you know when people have open wifi connections, not secure so the whole neighborhood can use them? Is it possible that if someone did have a micro cell in their home in the area that I passed while traveling, that it could have been "open" so any cell phone could tap into it??

Professor

• 

2.2K Messages

11 years ago

To my knowledge, the only cell phones that can access a given Mcell are the ones that are on the Approved User's List for that particular Mcell.

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

11 years ago

OK, you guys know more than I ever will. Lol. It was a thought.

Thanks! 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

24.5K Messages

11 years ago

DC - The MC is locked down pretty tight so it's more than likely the wrong number was added to the Guest list. A coinkydink. How's your holiday so far? On our way back from an antique fair.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.