Our Community Forums will be closing on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
kokopelli_1's profile

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

Friday, April 2nd, 2021 6:36 PM

Why is my 5G service so horrible in my home?

I recently got a new iPhone 12 because of the 5G service. Thank goodness I have wifi because the 5G service at my home is ridiculous. I just ran a speed test and I'm getting 6.20 down and 0.42 up. I was down near highway 67 and 20 today and tried a speed test on 5G. I couldn't believe the speed!!  69.6 down / 27.3 up. Now that's what I was told I should expect when I got the phone. What can I do to get better service in my neighborhood? Am I living in a dead zone? When can I expect things to get better. I live in East Dallas near Ferguson Rd and Lakeland. I feel like I'm getting ripped off for having 5G.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

35.9K Messages

3 years ago

Go here for a coverage map:

https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

If you zoom too close in, the map takes forever to paint and the details seem somewhat fishy.  If you hit the sweet spot here:

Note that US 67 & I-20 is in solid block of that lighter blue.  Note that over in Casa Linda, there's some specs of Darker 4G LTE blue, meaning that, for some reason, the 5G signal is no so strong in that area to the point that 5G won't be usable at all.  For all carriers, for a while, 5G will have spotty coverage. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

3 years ago

You could very well be in a fringe area. Even in areas of "coverage" there are going to be spots that just don't get what 5G supposedly has to offer. And coverage maps are not always as accurate as they indicate they are.

I have an iPhone 12 but opted not to change my legacy unlimited plan to take advantage of 5G as I don't really see that it has that many advantages for me.

• 

72 Messages

3 years ago

Please check 5G network coverage at your location : https://www.att.com/maps/wireless-coverage.html

AT&T is rapidly expanding it's 5G network across US everyday. However, there is no ETA reported.

If your area comes under 5G coverage and still experiencing service issue, I recommend you to call the customer support at 800-331-0500 for troubleshooting and further assistance

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

What can I do to get better service in my neighborhood?

There really isn’t anything you can do. You just have to wait, the 5G network is still being built out. This is why I’m in no hurry to upgrade to 5G. My iPhone XR has gotten those fast speeds you see and better on LTE.

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

3 years ago

I just checked the coverage map and sure enough, I'm on an island of LTE and surrounded by 5G. What luck. I've highlighted the area I live in. Maybe they will increase the 5G coverage over time.

• 

7 Messages

2 years ago

I guess what I want to know is why was my 4G service so much better then the 5G service ? I have a 5G phone which worked better on 4G. And I have not switched locations since it went to 5G. 

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

2 years ago

5G coverage in my area is still spotty so I just leave my phone on LTE all of the time. No connection or speed issues. 5G service is still building out in areas and the more folks who are using it, or attempting to use it in a give area, the more iffy the connection becomes.

1 Message

9 months ago

This 5G offering is a complete joke.... It never works and probably never will.  Why is it the phones work so much better in Europe ?  USA some leader we are.  I guess its all about Corporate Greed and profits and market your way to these without providing users what they are told they will get.  (Edited per community guidelines) you can't return the dam phone they got your money already.  

(edited)

ACE - Expert

• 

24.9K Messages

9 months ago

5G does work well, depending on your phone, in a lot of areas. But it is still spotty in most, regardless of what the coverage maps indicate. They just show how far the signal can be detected, not the usability of that signal. All carriers do that.

Do you really NEED 5G? We get by just fine on LTE with our 5G capable phones. In-home, because the signal is variable and un-reliable, we use WiFi-C (WiFi Calling) which works perfectly.

Scholar

• 

169 Messages

9 months ago

I just did a speed test to see if things have improved since my original post in April 2021. What a joke. I got like 1.2 down and 0 up. Luckily I have wifi, but if it ever goes out I'm screwed. Not even sure how to turn off 5G and use LTE. Two years have passed and still no change. Crazy

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.