For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
dejathores's profile

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, January 10th, 2023 3:58 AM

Unlock portal error “we can’t unlock this device for you because AT&T did not sell or activate it”

The portal gives us this message “we can’t unlock this device for you because AT&T did not sell or activate it” when we attempt to submit an unlock request for my daughter’s iPhone 8+ but it is in error and does not apply.

• Bought in 2018 from Best Buy mobile in the mall where she worked.
  • The iPhone was activated with AT&T SIM card.
  • Paid for the iPhone and the monthly wireless service through her AT&T account (no prepaid).
  • iPhone was paid off according to her installment plan on time.
  • Owned and used the iPhone for around 5 yrs then bought a new iPhone 14 on the same wireless plan.
  • Wants me (her mother) to be able to use it on my free lifeline service.

Could you tell me what could be causing this issue? She called AT&T but they told her to go to Best Buy, but Best Buy said they do not unlock iPhones only AT&T can since it’s locked to their network. Is this iPhone not in their database even though she made payments on the phone and paid a monthly bill for service for the phone? I know the iPhone gets locked to the first SIM card used which was AT&T when it is activated and that Best Buy is an authorized Apple dealer and service provider. Considering all of this we can’t figure out why AT&T hasn’t any record of this iPhone.

Who exactly do we need to talk to get this phone unlocked?

ACE - New Member

• 

637 Messages

1 year ago

Normally you are correct, flex policy states the device gets locked to the first carrier it's used on, but are you sure that it is actually locked? Have you tried to put your lifeline SIM in the device? If AT&T can't because they didn't sell it and Best Buy can't because they don't unlock phones at all, you could try contacting Apple directly as your next step.

• 

3 Messages

1 year ago

Yes it is locked to AT&T, tried the lifeline sim when I got it and activation failed. I know how to check the phone setting for carrier status, etc. Ran an imei check to make sure. Apple doesn’t unlock phones for consumers either. My daughter called AT&T several times and finally got put through to the tech department, but got cut off and they never called back, even after leaving them several call back requests. After the run around from AT&T, my daughter decided to file a complaint with the FCC to see if it would help. In less than 2 days the office of the president at AT&T called her back and left a message with their number for a call back, they also emailed her. Even before she could get back to them, low and behold the phone was unlocked like magic. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.