Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
Sad_iphone_user's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, March 23rd, 2017 5:11 PM

Unlock my iPhone 6 plus

AT&T sent me a letter in January 2017 that my grandfathered rate plan would increase by $5 and that I can cancel my contract within 60 days of being billed the increase and they would waive the early termination fee.  I was billed the $5 increase in March and I paid the bill, then I switched my service to T-Mobile.  My phone hasn't worked ever since because AT&T refuses to unlock my phone.  I talked to several customer service representatives who understand my request and agree that my phone should be unlocked.  I did not cancel my contract early, incurring an early termination fee that AT&T is trying to collect and as a result are holding my phone hostage...this is not what happened.  The representative realize that I was given permission by AT&T to cancel my contract early and there is no reason why AT&T should not unlock my phone.  Unfortunately, these representatives are unable to actually unlock my phone themselves, and the part of AT&T who can unlock my  phone refuse to.  I have received emails that say they won't unlock my phone because I'm still under contract.  So this "back office" does not seem to understand my situation.  This is a bad look for AT&T, it's as if AT&T is doing this punitively because the customer chooses to switch to another carrier. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Have you received your final bill yet? It may be just a matter of waiting for the system to update to reflect your ETF was charged and waived which can take several weeks after the final bill is generated. If you just can't wait, you can try reaching out to @ATTMobilityCare via private message Faye message. They may be able to get the unlock request through the back office.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

7 years ago

ATT will waive the ETF but you must pay your final bill.  

If you have received and paid your final bill, ATT must unlock your phone and ETF has to be waived.

If you are still not getting unlocked, complain:    Contact ATT social media ( Facebook or twitter) or call 611 and ask for advanced tech support.  Next complaint can be to the FCC is they don't get it done.  

Your iPhone may need to be backed up erased and restored with iTunes to complete unlock

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Thanks, I will try that.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I did complain to the FCC and the FTC but it takes 30 days to get a response.  I haven't received my final bill from AT&T but I don't want to wait even another minute for my phone to work much less wait for them to generate a final bill.  I really don't want to lose my number because I've had it since 1996, but I'm seriously thinking of asking T-Mobile to change my number so I can have a working phone.  Anyway, thank you for your suggestions.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.