Our Community Forum will be shutting down on June 27, 2024. Please visit att.com/support for all your support needs.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
rtyargh5's profile

• 

81 Messages

Wednesday, December 15th, 2021 6:19 PM

MMS and Group Messaging Settings not Showing in iPhone’s Settings

When I go to settings/messages on my iPhone and go to the SMS/MMS section, no toggle is displayed for MMS or group messaging. I know they should be there because I asked my sister, who also has AT&T and an iPhone, and those settings showed for her. I also asked a friend who also has an iPhone and those settings were there for him too. Yesterday, I chatted in to AT&T support 3 times attempting to fix this issue. All 3 people assured me it was fixed and it was not. Here’s what I have done to attempt to fix this:

1. Refreshed my cellular connection on AT&T’s website multiple times.

2. Reset network settings on my device multiple times.

3. Restarted my device multiple times.

4. Today I even took the extreme measure of restoring my device to factory settings and setting it up as a new device using my MacBook Pro. The problem persists.

Here is what the settings look like on my device:

Here is what the settings look like on my sister’s device…
Here is what the settings look like on my friend’s device…
Why do I have constant problems like this related to provisioning features on my account? Why can no one at AT&T that I chat with or speak to ever fix anything on my account? Are they just not doing anything when I attempt to get help? Are they willfully screwing things up on my account? What IS it with my accounts that I always seem to have problems like this no matter who my service provider is?

• 

81 Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot 

I’m on a 5g plan, but my device isn’t 5g compatible. As far as being able to select 4g or LTE, I didn’t know that was possible. Or is that something you can only do on a 5g device?

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

3 years ago

@rtyargh5 If you have a 5G capable iPhone, and are one of the 5G Unlimited plans, then you can choose 5G On, 5G Auto, or LTE. If you don't have a 5G plan, you should be able to select 4G or LTE. However, as AT&T gets closer to shutting down the 3G/4G network, those options seem to gone so there is nothing to select. The phone will just connect to LTE.

Go to Settings -> Cellular -> Cellular Data Options -> Voice & Data and see what's there. Which iOS are you running?

• 

81 Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot 

There is no voice & data setting in cellular data options. I’m running iOS 15.2.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

3 years ago

@rtyargh5 Interesting. I'm running iOS 15.1.1 and I can choose between 5G, 5G Auto, or LTE on my iPhone 12. I have 5G enabled on my plan but I choose to use LTE for now. I upgraded my wife's iPhone 7 this morning to iOS 15.1 and hers looks like yours.

I think what's happening is that AT&T is quietly telling folks that 3G/4G is going away very soon so there is nothing to choose from if you don't have a 5G capable phone or a 5G plan. If your phone is VoLTE capable, then the only band it can connect to is LTE so there is nothing to choose from. You should see the LTE alpha tag next to the signal strength indicator if you are not using WiFi-C and connected to a cellular network.

Back to your original problem, if everything works as it always has, and the only thing you've lost is the ability to enable/disable MMS/SMS, but those still work, then I wouldn't worry about it, too much 😉. Call Apple and see what they say, if you haven't done that already (I don't remember if you said you did or not). They will probably tell you to call AT&T, which can be an exercise in futility. What Carrier Setting are you on?

• 

81 Messages

3 years ago

@OttoPylot 

It’s just that I don’t like my phone not working properly. I won’t call Apple because it’s definitely a carrier related issue. Group Messaging and MMS settings show up or not depending on correct provisioning of your cellular service to your device. My carrier version is 49.0.2.

ACE - Expert

• 

24.8K Messages

3 years ago

My Carrier Setting is 48.0 on my iPhone 12 (Unlimited Standard plan with 4 iPhones and 2 non-data flip phones).

The only thing I can tell you then is that you will probably have to get an engineer from the OOP to check your account configuration settings and make adjustment/corrections if need be. We never lost the settings for MMS/SMS, we just couldn't send/receive from non-iMessage users nor could we get 2FA (which there is no customer setting for). 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.