Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
gonesoon's profile

Mentor

• 

11 Messages

Sunday, February 4th, 2018 9:53 PM

Looks like I am another victim of the AT&T BOGO SCAM Fraud

Be wary of this scam!  I have not only been a loyal AT&T customer for many years, and a directv customer as  well... but now they have gotten me.  I added a line for a family member, and bought a nice new Iphone 7 for them, and upgraded a current phone on my account to an iphone 7plus... the iphone 7 was supposed to be free, and I was supposed to start receiving credits after 3 months... after 3 months they continued to charge me... when I called them they tell me I was not eligible so I will have to pay for the phone... this is a $700 dollar scam!  I tried over and over to call ATT to get someone that would have some sense about them and the offer, and I continued to get only rude responses.  It has been an expensive lesson to me.  Funny thing is that I know 3 other people personally that have been bitten by the same ATT BOGO scam.  It appears from the online responses that this is an ongoing issue for ATT and that they seem to be burning alot of people with this BOGO SCAM.  AS a result I have cancelled my directv service, and as soon as I pay off this ridiculous phone that was supposed to be free... I will be leaving ATT as well.  Again... be wary... they got me too.

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

And I did keep the service. {keep it courteous}

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

Sooo true

Teacher

• 

11 Messages

6 years ago

???🙃

Master

• 

3.2K Messages

6 years ago

I didn't say you didn't keep the service, @BogoVictim37. I was responding to this statement:

"Why don’t they let you just pay full price for the phone and get the second one free immediately? Because they want to make sure they wrap you up in 30 months of service, and have lots of opportunities to come up with ways to weasel out of making good on the deal. Not sure how you define “scam,” but ...

There's your answer. It's not a scam. It's business.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

6 years ago

@123abcd123 wrote:

This has happened to me as well. My son had a Track phone, the ones you buy minutes as you go that you buy in the plastic packs at Walmart. You know no contract, cheap phone. 

The store also looked up my sale and say the my sons Track phone used AT&T towers so it was an upgrade not a new activation! WHAT?! So I didn't qualify for the BOGO promotion that your sales representative signed me up for! 

BOGO deals requires adding service via a new line.  Moving a line from an ATT MVNO/prepaid does not add service to ATT since it is already with ATT...

The offers do specify “ATT prepaid and Cricket and select others do not qualify. “

https://www.androidcentral.com/complete-list-att-mvnos

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

6 years ago

@BogoVictim37

I advised you way back in post 43 August 21, to file a BBB complaint.  That your receipt showing date of purchase differs from ATT’s.  

Did you ever do this?   

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

Also, what QuarryRye describes as a "charity" (buying a phone and getting another one free) is exactly the definition of “buy one, get one free!” It’s the headline of the offer!  That is exactly what the normal understanding of buy one, get one is. AT&T should have to change the name of this deal to “Agree to a long term contract for service and financing of two really expensive phones, and MAYBE get a discount on one of the phones later - but we’ll decide whether we give you the discount a few months after you sign up.” It’s not as catchy, but more accurate.

The only reason AT&T is giving away an $800 phone is so they can make up the loss through the new line of service. Of course they want to make sure you keep the line open - if they just gave you the free phone, you could disconnect the next day and get the phone for nothing. AT&T is a business, not a charity.

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

No.  I don't know how to file a complaint with BBB, and don't have a whole lot of time to become my own consumer advocacy expert.  I'm just dumping AT&T across the board (mobile, internet, landline, and DirecTV) as soon as I have time to figure out which of the 3 possible replacements is the least terrible. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.8K Messages

6 years ago

@BogoVictim37 wrote:

No.  I don't know how to file a complaint with BBB, and don't have a whole lot of time to become my own consumer advocacy expert.  I'm just dumping AT&T across the board (mobile, internet, landline, and DirecTV) as soon as I have time to figure out which of the 3 possible replacements is the least terrible. 

That surprises me.  You took the time to sign up for a forum account, have spent a great deal of time responding here, yet not a second in the almost full month to google “how to file a BBB complaint” to get your money.   Guess it didn’t really matter that much to you.  

Mentor

• 

15 Messages

6 years ago

Signing up for this forum took a few seconds, and was self explanatory.  Responding to email is pretty much what I do all day, so replying to this forum's messages is not really adding much to my time spent.  I'm thinking if AT&T cared what I, or anyone else, thought they wouldn't be treating their long-time customers this way.  As far as it mattering much to me, I've already spent dozens of hours on the phone with AT&T and going back and forth to the store where I bought the phones.  After I typed that, I thought "in for a penny..." so I spent the last 45 minutes filing a BBB complaint.  I spent longer than that on hold in a single call to AT&T customer care.  I'll be sure to post again to tell you how that turns out.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.