Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The new iPad Pro & iPad Air!
THX1965's profile

Mentor

• 

17 Messages

Sunday, February 19th, 2017 7:44 PM

Closed

Device Unlock Error - AT&T says IMEI number doesn't match a compatible device

I can't unlock my iPhone 6 (which is out of contract) because AT&T claim the IMEI number dosn't match a compatible device. This is the error message that I have been getting 3 times in a row:

"Your unlock request was denied because the IMEI number doesn’t match a device that’s compatible with the AT&T network.

Check the IMEI number by dialing *#06#, or check the device settings, and then submit a new request."

This is of course nonsense, since I have been using my iPhone on the AT&T network for 2 years. I triple checked the IMEI number and it is correct. The device gives me the same correct number either when I look it up through device settings or when I dial *#06#.  This iPhone - purchased through Apple and activated through AT&T - was on a 2-year plan and is now paid off.

I really need to unlock this phone. Customer service can't or won't help. Why can't this issue not be fixed by a simple phone call?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Markus

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

6 years ago

@rdelano1

@rdelano1 wrote:

I talked with Customer service for 30 minutes, they couldn't help me. Spent plenty of time trying to up sell me. They told me because I bought the phone in an AT&T store, I should go back to them...underly ridiculous. I filed a complaint with the FCC (https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us?return_to=%2Fhc%2Frequests) lets see where it goes. Not the best experience for a customer of 10 years.  

There are several valid valid reason ATT can keep a phone locked.  Have you reviewed the requirements?  (The arrow was for a previous post)

079158BA-2CA5-4C88-98DC-D9B28AF51E6A.jpeg

1 Attachment

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Yes, I read that in my quest for a solution...thanks for responding. It's very much an AT&T issue, otherwise I wouldn't have went the FCC rout. Thanks

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I sent a personal message to ATTCARE hoping you could read and solve my problem so that I could unlock the device. Tks!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

Hi! I have the same issue. I paid off the phone and need to unlocked asap but getting this error on the website while submitting my request. was on call past midnight with AT&T and they were only able to open a case and not help with any thing else. Kindly respond back asap! I have been a customer for over 8 years and my family still continues using this service. 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

So so help us understand why a phone working on the AT@T network for 2 years suddenly isn’t recognized by AT@T when @indagarden replaced it and wants it unlocked?  I’m having the same issue with my old iPhone 6+. It still has AT@T branding and links to AT&T services in Settings. But customer service responded to my unlock request with e-mail saying “IMEI not recognized”. AND THE CUSTOMER SERVICE REP ON THE PHONE SAID SHE COULD SEE MY OLD PHONE PHONE IN THE AT&T SYSTEM WHEN SHE DID THE REQUEST ON MY BEHALF!!!!!

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

.deleted 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

My LG M150 imei was not recognized on the AT&T Device Unlock page. I am wondering what is the problem. My Iphone 6 plus after submitting an unlock request, I received an email that imei don't match the device. It can't be unlock. 

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

after you type in the number, put your cursor in front of the first number, and hit the backspace button once.  then you will see the model and serial number, and now move forward with clicking next.  its a weird one, but one that IT should fix.  trust me, it works.  

Mentor

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

I can't believe this is still happening.  File a complaint with the FCC and you should see results.  My phone was unlocked quickly after that.

Teacher

• 

13 Messages

6 years ago

I have same issue with my iPhone 7

Looks like the IMEI number you entered doesn’t match an AT&T device. Try entering it again. Dial *#06# on your mobile phone to make sure you have the right IMEI.

Who can help to unlock it?
I am non att customer 
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.