For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
N

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, October 21st, 2020 10:26 PM

AT&T has blacklisted my Dad's IMEI number and phone

My dad recently lost his phone outside in the yard. We had insurance on it so of course we don’t a claim and the only claim option for that is “Lost OR Stolen”. A few weeks after he lost it we found it. With him already paying for the replacement phone, we decided to give it to a friend who was in need of a phone. AT&T has now blacklisted the IMEI number and the phone will not work. We called and they stated it has been “stolen” which is not true, we told the insurance company how and when he lost it. And now they refuse to un-list the number and wants us to send them back the phone so they can remove it and resale it. A bit hypocritical if you ask me. Can anyone help? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Master

• 

10.5K Messages

4 years ago

Not hypocritical at all.  You had one phone, that was lost.  You got a replacement.  Allowing you to keep the phone that was lost means that you now have two phones for the price of one.  Since you made a claim and got a replacement, the lost phone now belongs to the insurance company, and putting it on the blacklist prevent anyone else from using “their” phone.

Accepted Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

4 years ago

AT&T is the carrier it was blacklisted through, but the new owner and the one who requested The Blacklist is the insurance company Asurion. The phone no longer belongs to you because it has been replaced, the old phone will not be removed from The Blacklist.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.4K Messages

4 years ago

BTW, if you ever are in a car accident and the car is ‘totaled’ and insurance issues you a check, you don’t own the car anymore.  The car becomes insurance property, they get any salvage rights.  Get your stuff out if it, because the insurance company has the right to prevent access to their property.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.