Find the perfect gift for the grad in your life with Graduation gifts that connects us from AT&T.
The Samsung Galaxy S24
bobster59's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, November 29th, 2014 6:22 PM

FBI Ransomware

My Samsung Galaxy S5 has been hit with the FBI Cybercrime Division Virus and I am completely locked out of my phone. This hoax is demanding $500.00 before my phone will be unlocked and after reading up on it, this doesn't happen. Anyone else have this happen or have any ideas on how to fix?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.9K Messages

9 years ago

@bobster59@  wrote:

My Samsung Galaxy S5 has been hit with the FBI Cybercrime Division Virus and I am completely locked out of my phone. This hoax is demanding $500.00 before my phone will be unlocked and after reading up on it, this doesn't happen. Anyone else have this happen or have any ideas on how to fix?

You'll need to boot into safe mode.

Booting Android into Safe Mode differs from version to version and across devices. You might, for instance, hold the power button, then long-press Power Off to display the safe mode dialogue. Similarly, you might long-press Reboot to get the same result. You should be able to find the solution for your device with a quick web search.

With Safe Mode booted (you’ll spot the “Safe Mode” legend in the bottom left of your display) only system apps will be running. Any third party apps you have downloaded and installed are disabled, much as with booting into Safe Mode in Windows.

Removing FBI Ransomware from your Android device requires you to first remove administrative privilege from the app in its Flash Player guise. Open Security > Device Administrator and select Flash Player, then Deactivate.

You can then remove the ransomware by opening Settings > Apps, selecting Flash Player and tapping Uninstall.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

My cell phone has FBI moneypak on it and I can't do anything. Does anyone know how to remove it? Everytime I power it off, it turns itself back on.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

Which phone please?

Mentor

• 

83 Messages

9 years ago

I don't know about phones; with a computer, you have to go into the registry and edit some settings. It's a nasty little program that is really hard to get rid of.

But I'd try a factory reset. You'll loose everything you have on the phone, so hopefully you've been backing up all along.

Edit: I see this has been addressed before, read this thread and hopefully it works for you.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Android/FBI-Ransomware/m-p/4165764

ACE - Sage

• 

117.5K Messages

9 years ago

I'm going to guess android or windows.

Because you phone is this far bricked....
Hold volume up button, power button and home button (if you have one).

Use volume buttons to scroll up and down. Power button to select.

You are going to have to factory reset the phone. Hopefully you back up regularly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

The FBI department of justice what is my Samsung galaxy 111 have the problem with it. How to fix removed it is FBI

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

First, it has nothing to do with the FBI or DOJ; that is bogus to scare you into thinking you may have done something illegal, even if only by accident.

Second, did you read the two post above yours, including the link? They tell you what you have to do.

Third, don't pay the money; you'll never hear back from the scammers.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

I have a ZTE at&t I've been hacked by the FBI they want 500.00 but I can't get to my settings it won't let me what can I do

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Hotmama66Your phone is NOT hacked by the FBI; do not pay the money, you will never hear from the real culprits and just waste your money. Start your phone in safe mode and follow the above instructions.

Turn on and use safe mode
  • Press and hold the Power button on your device.
  • Touch & hold the Power off option until a dialog box appears.
  • Touch OK to reboot into safe mode.
  • Uninstall apps that are causing a problem.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.